Intermediate Environmental Planner
At SNC-Lavalin, we believe the world-class expertise and unwavering commitment of our employees are the reasons for our success. We value teamwork, respect and openness above all else, and we empower our people to grow and learn. Join us, as we work to become the world's most sought-after engineering and construction firm. Our commitment to excellence extends to our workplace where we offer a flexible work environment, competitive compensation and benefits, in-house training programs, a strong emphasis on health and safety, support for continuing education and professional development and the opportunity to work with and learn from senior technical experts and professionals. We strive to build a collaborative environment bringing together multidisciplinary team to address our client's needs.
SNC-Lavalin Inc. is seeking an Intermediate Environmental Planner for our Toronto, ON office who would like more experience and responsibility combined with exposure to a wide variety of infrastructure (e.g., transit, road/highway, power, etc.) and environmental assessment planning projects. The ideal candidate will be a motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter with a minimum of 5 years of experience with environmental assessments and consulting services.
- Work with and support environmental planners / project managers in carrying out Environmental Assessments and permitting for construction.
- Coordinate, organize, prepare for, attend, and document project meetings (internal and external).
- Coordinate the development and implementation of consultation programs, including municipal, federal/provincial regulatory agencies and Indigenous engagement.
- Coordinate work of environmental specialists (i.e., fisheries, terrestrial ecologists, noise, air, archaeology, built heritage, etc.), including management of subcontractors.
- Collaborate with technical and professional staff across the company in completing assignments.
- Develop, prepare and maintain project/task schedules and budgets for the environmental component of the project. Monitor projects progress, work hours, budgets and expenditures, using project scheduling and cost control tools.
- Coordinate with government/regulatory agencies and internal technical leads to obtain environmental permits/approvals for construction on a variety of projects.
- Support business development efforts, including proposal writing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Planning, Geography, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies)
- 5+ years of related experience in managing and coordinating environmental assessments and securing construction permits/approvals
- Familiarity with the Ontario Environmental Assessment (EA) Act, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA), Ontario Regulation 231/08 - Transit Projects, Municipal Class EA, MTO Class EA and other legislation related to the position (e.g. Fisheries Act, Endangered Species Act, Navigation Protection Act, Environmental Protection Act)
- Knowledge of other relevant Ontario Legislation and Provincial Policy (i.e., the Planning Act, the Greenbelt Act, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working on municipal, transit and transportation projects in Ontario
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Desire to continue to learn and adapt skills
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload to manage multiple assignments at one time
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s license
- Experience working in a fast paced, consulting environment
- Full or Provisional membership in a professional body (e.g. Registered Professional Planner (RPP and MCIP); Canadian Environmental Professional (EP); or Project Management Professional (PMP)
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.