Junior Geotechnical/Geohazards Engineer
Why join us?
We are currently seeking a Junior Geotechnical/ Geohazards Engineer to join our team.
In this position, you will work as a key member of the Alberta Geotechnical & Geohazards team. Work will include a variety of office projects and field investigations. The successful candidate will be mentored by geotechnical/ geohazards professionals and will gain valuable experience in the consulting industry.
Comprehensive training in health and safety, as well as other skills required for the job, will be provided. This position involves significant field work, allowing you to apply your knowledge in geotechnical, geological, geohazards, and engineering settings.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Acting as a design engineer resource for a variety of projects and clients
- Topographic and construction surveying with RTK survey equipment
- Use of line location tools
- Recording field data on handheld devices
- Navigating by GPS (global positioning system) and ArcCollector
- Participating in various geohazard analysis, geotechnical site investigation and remediation design projects
- Participating in field investigations, which may include drilling, slope stability analyses, risk assessment and instrumentation installation
- Participating in field inspection for cast in place piles, driven piles, and/or excavation slopes
- Conducting soil, concrete and asphalt tests in the field and/or in a laboratory environment
- Documentation of onsite activities, subsequent test results, and general reporting tasks
- General activities related to the daily functioning of the office and equipment storage (calibration of equipment, housekeeping, communication with staff from other SNC-Lavalin offices, sample storage, etc.)
- Preparation of proposals
- Provision of practical and economic solutions to clients
- Preparation of technical reports associated with the project scope of work
- Enthusiastic participation in health and safety programs
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Geoscience, Geology or related field
- Valid Alberta class 5 driver’s license with a clean driving abstract
- A good understanding of MS Office
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to a culture of workplace safety
- Ability to work and travel throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC for extended periods of time
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or as a member of a team
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet established deadlines
- Experience using specialized equipment and software (e.g. Lpile, GRL-WEAP, GeoStudio or equivalent) would be considered an asset
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, with a high level of energy
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
Our commitment to excellence extends to our workplace where we offer a flexible work environment, competitive compensation and flexible benefits including a generous pension plan and an employee Share Ownership Plan, in-house training programs, a strong emphasis on health and safety, support for continuing education and professional development and the opportunity to work with and learn from senior technical experts and professionals.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as "SNC-Lavalin") are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com