Lead Engineer - Engineering Delivery Partner (EDP)
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s most respected consultancies with over 80 years of design, engineering and project management expertise. We partner with our clients to deliver complex projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world around us.
Our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Business work with leading names to transform the future of aerospace and Defence engineering whilst our security, intelligence and government teams are trusted by organisations to help them understand the threats they are facing and develop the strategies to counter them.
The Aerospace and Defence Market that forms part of ADS&T, delivers single and multi-disciplinary engineering and business change projects across all sectors of the market. Our strength is in the scale, depth and diversity of our offering. We support our clients throughout the equipment life cycle, from research and technical demonstration programmes, to supporting industry with deployed platforms.
Atkins is a member of the Aurora Consortium that is delivering engineering services to the MOD as the Engineering Delivery Partner (EDP). This has provided a step change in growth in delivering services to Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S).
We are seeking an EDP Lead Engineer to work at the Bristol office to help manage the significant growth we are expecting over the next year. We are looking to attract experienced candidates with a proven Engineering delivery and consulting background with an emphasis on a broad understanding of the Engineering disciplines Atkins are providing through EDP. This is a full time role for which day-to-day direction and support will be provided by the Atkins MOD Account - Delivery Director.
The successful candidate will have recognised Engineering qualifications and have been engaged in delivery management and consulting roles with typically at least 10 years work experience gained in either a private or public-sector organisations. Our EDP client is challenged with complex stakeholder communities, supply chains and approvals processes so excellent client facing skills as well as proven supply chain management experience is essential.
Specific Role Responsibilities
Atkins aims to be supportive and flexible in our approach to assigning particular roles, balancing business and personal needs. You will work as a key part of the EDP Framework Team, supporting delivery across a number of multi-disciplinary teams. You will need to balance your time across a number of EDP projects at the same time including, on occasion, focussing on multi-million programme(s). The EDP Lead Engineer role remit also includes continuous improvement of EDP processes and ways of working. Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead/provide technical SME input with respect to EDP client engagements in order to elicit EDP task requirements
- Representing Atkins at Aurora stakeholder meetings
- Technical Assurance of Key EDP Proposals and Competition Marking Schemes
- Support EDP technical delivery leads to ensure that identified engineering outputs are delivered within time, cost and quality constraints as part of EDP service delivery
- Provide advice and guidance to EDP project and engineering managers
- Engage Atkins Subject Matter Experts to capture new EDP requirements, risks or solution options
- Conduct technical analysis of EDP task requirements and make EDP solution recommendations
- Engage with the EDP Provider Network to understand and shape potential solutions
- Participate in or lead EDP key engineering activities
- Implement EDP quality assurance to satisfy both corporate and client
- Support EDP technical delivery leads in ensuring client acceptance across a range of engineering deliverables
- Work closely with Atkins’ Practice Managers and Directors to ensure that EDP Engineering Resource Demand signal is coherent and understood
- Work closely with Atkins’ Practice Managers and Directors to ensure that EDP Engineering Resource Supply matches demand; support recruitment activities where necessary
- Leading continuous improvement of Atkins EDP end-to-end processes and ways of working
- Provide advice and Engineering best practice into the Aurora Engineering hub and drive coherence across EDP tasks.
Requirement – Behavioural
You will be representing Atkins to our clients, so it is key that our values and ways of working are demonstrated within the role:
- Team leadership - experience of successfully leading integrated teams to deliver project outputs and programme outcomes. A driven individual capable of motivating staff to meet deadlines
- Team work – the ability to work cooperatively with others and provide help where required; possession of strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusted relationships
- Communication – high emotional intelligence - listens and questions effectively, concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels
- Flexibility – able to adapt from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to assist the EDP client re: delivering key engineering outputs and work packages.
- Customer focus – delivers a high level of customer service to our EDP and internal customers
- Achievement – someone who looks to exceed EDP client aspirations and works to goals and manages obstacles
- Exhibits energy, pride and determination in meeting targets and overcoming challenges; able to work to tight timescales in a KPI driven environment
- Initiative – ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- Development – wants to continually develop new skills in themselves and others through continuous professional development and other means
- Safety, ethics and integrity – embraces and uphold Atkins high professional standards at all times
- Advocacy – is an ambassador for our wider business at all times
Requirement – Technical
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Science, Software or equivalent depth of experience in an engineering field
- Professionally recognised with an appropriate institution e.g. CEng, CSEP
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in any of these areas:
- Working in complex systems from digital, communications, sensors, platforms to software and advanced technology integration
- Applying Systems Engineering processes (e.g. ISO15288:2015) across the lifecycle
- Safety Engineering
- Asset Management
- Managing Engineering projects and teams
- Understanding of different tools and techniques applied to engineering to capture requirements and develop solution designs e.g. Engineering development approaches, Waterfall, Agile, Spiral, Model Based Systems Engineering
- Understanding of engineering within the MOD’s procurement framework, Acquisition System Guidance (ASG)
- Ability to understand, simplify and explain subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders
- Knowledge of commercial / procurement processes.
- MOD Client Director
- MOD Delivery Director
- EDP Framework Capture Lead
- EDP Framework Delivery Manager (and Deputy)
- EDP Resource Manager
- Provider Network Manager
- EDP Finance Manager
- MOD Client Manager
- Atkins Resource & Practice Managers/Directors
- Aurora Lead Engineer
Why work for Atkins?
With Atkins you will be in a trusted, supported position, primarily client based, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience plus learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; http://www.yourrewardatkins.com
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Together with the Ministry of Defence, governments and other organizations, we’ve signed the “Women In Defence” and “Women in Aviation and Aerospace” charters. Our commitments are to drive inclusion and diversity at the business, providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.