Highways Lead Technician
Following our recent success in securing Highways England’s East of England Design Service Commission, we are looking for Lead Technician to join our team across three core delivery offices (Highways England Offices in Bedford, Atkins offices in Chelmsford and Cambridge).
About the Project
Atkins has been appointed by Highways England to deliver detailed design and associated consulting services for the asset improvement schemes planned for the east of England, helping to look after 1500 miles of strategic highways and over 2000 structures.
About the role
For a Lead Technician position, you will need a good level of technical competence, in highway engineering design. You will ensure the technical quality of your work on projects forming part of a major portfolio of highway renewal and improvement works, embracing collaborative working and helping to drive cashable efficiencies for Highways England.
You will be responsible to an Engineer or Graduate/Assistant Engineer for ensuring that your projects are designed in accordance with the highest Technical standards and, Highways England’s imperatives
What you will be doing?
- Supporting Engineers and Assistant Engineers in the creation of design solutions
- Assisting with the creation of 3D models and preparing engineering drawings
- Preparing word, excel and other documents as instructed from time to time
- Supporting the preparation of specifications for technical surveys and design
- Supporting the preparation of tender and contract documentation to various forms of contract
- Undertaking self-checking and assisting with technical checks of work undertaken by technicians,
- Supporting team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of project elements,
- Ensuring your work is to the highest appropriate standards.
- Compliance with Atkins quality systems and drawing standards
- Ensuring re-work on elements you have designed is minimised.
- Helping to maintain a good working environment
You’ll need to have
- Working toward professional qualifications
- HNC or BTech in Civil Engineering (or similar)
- The use of AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civils 3D
- Small elements of highway design.
- Working in an Engineering Design environment
- Referring to technical standards such as the DMRB
- Successfully contributing to the delivery of engineering projects.
- Detailing some typical elements of a highway engineering project (including, but not limited to those in the HCD)
- Supporting other team members with their work.
- Working within a BIM2 environment with an understanding of Common Data Environments
- Helping with the Designer’s responsibilities under the CDM Regulations.
- The use of MS Word and MS Excel software
- You will be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- You will have an interest in helping to solve problems.
- You will demonstrate a high level of commitment and flexibility and be eager to accept responsibility and learn new skills
- You will act with integrity and professionalism, gaining the trust of colleagues
- You will be self-motivating with the have the ability to work on your own when necessary.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.