Manager - Systems Engineering: Retube, Inspection, and Maintenance Systems
The Retube, Inspection and Maintenance Systems (RIMS) Group is a multidisciplinary group responsible for engineering of tooling systems used in the maintenance and inspection of CANDU reactor fuel channels, reactor structures and other plant systems. These tooling systems can be used to support the operation, maintenance, inspection, life extension and/or construction of CANDU or other types of reactors.
The Systems Engineering Branch in RIMS consists of approximately 40 to 50 engineers and technicians in primarily the mechanical discipline. Members of the Systems Engineering Branch perform systems level engineering design and analysis of engineered tooling systems as well as detail tooling design, project coordination and other technical functions.
The Manager, Systems Engineering, reporting directly to the Director of Retube, Inspection & Maintenance Systems, (RIMS) will have the accountability to maintain an appropriately trained work force in the RIMS organization to meet the needs of the various SNC Lavalin projects and tool design, development and testing activities.
- Accountable for managing and maintaining a highly skilled work force to achieve successful completion of variety of projects within SNC Nuclear division
- Excellent leadership skills and an ability to deal with and supervise various personality types, demonstrating leadership, communication, and staff management skills in a unionized environment.
- Communicate with a high level of comfort to staff, management and external groups;
- Manage and schedule staff performance review process in association with other managers on the team.
- Must be capable of communicating technical and non-technical information within SNC Nuclear and external organizations.
- Reviews applicable design documentation for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and related specifications
- Comfortable interfacing with other managers in SNC Nuclear, CANDU clients and other resource groups in SNC Lavalin who support SNC Nuclear/Candu.
- Must ensure customer questions or problems are resolved in a timely manner.
- Provide positive reinforcement and act proactively to encourage positive relationships within the branch, department, and Candu Clients.
- Plan strategically with a strong commercial orientation to maximize staff output through appropriate assignment of staff to various project at SNC Nuclear/Candu.
- Oversee the resource management tasks, training initiatives, staffing forecasts and hiring campaigns; interacting with HR on major recruitment drives.
- Identify staffing needs, initiate the hiring process, conduct interviews and select candidates.
- Ensure staff skills are current by applying training and exposure to appropriate field work.
- Report on the Systems Engineering resource pool and maintain current qualifications of resources.
- Work with employees to identify development items and career paths
- In co-ordination with Project Managers, monitors performance to ensure team is fully capable of deliverables.
- Promotes a positive and trusting environment, resolving conflicts and making recommendations.
- Be sensitive to the clients' needs with the ability to adjust and maintain a high level of effectiveness in challenging and changing situations involving all parts of SNC Nuclear and outside organizations to provide the client with a superior level of service.
- Must quickly understand staffing needs and act timely to resolve or lead a team in reaching a resolution. Must be capable of addressing staff concerns as well as maintain team spirit and discipline. Work within flexible time frames to respond to urgent service issues.
- Possess initiative, drive, energy, resourcefulness and positive attitude. Must be driven by customer needs, Quality, Excellence, and Safety. Must take responsibility and accountability, engaging in open and honest communication. Must be committed to learning a team player and empowered to challenge and innovate.
- Promotes and ensures implementation of the company human performance and safety programs
- Active involvement in quality assurance with regards to understanding and implementing policies and procedures.
- Degree from a recognized college or university in a technical or engineering field relevant to the design of electro mechanical tools or equivalent, combined with hands on experience.
- Management of multi-disciplined technical team with 5-10 years’ experience in a progressively responsible leadership role in a technical or industrial sector is desirable.
- General knowledge and understanding of tooling system technology used for reactor maintenance, inspection and construction.
- Previous participation in retube / inspection / maintenance campaigns in one of the Candu operating stations is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of Candu Energy staff collective agreements is required.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills and possess strong leadership skills.
- Shall also possess an overall understanding of the Candu Services business.
- Previous experience as a facilitator, developing standards and managing the issues arising from growth, amalgamation, and changing expectations.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.