Empowering projects in a complex world.
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
As a Mechanical Engineer in our 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T) business you will deliver of a wide variety of projects, ranging from niche consultancy to large, high profile programmes. Whether it's the challenge of aircraft electrification or designing critical equipment to support the UK's Continuous at Sea Deterrent, you can take pride in the impact your contribution will make on advancing our world.
As a Mechanical Engineer within ADS&T you will:
- Create optimal design solutions to address client requirements;
- Produce substantiation calculations to demonstrate designs will perform as required;
- Author and update technical documents;
- Manage your delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements;
- Support our QA process through review or checking colleagues’ work;
- Present your work to the client at formal reviews;
- Work within project teams, these may include placements at clients’ sites;
- Take responsibility for the quality and delivery of your work and maintain Atkins’ reputation.
What can you bring?
- A degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline;
- Chartership with a relevant engineering institution or be progressing this;
- Sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied projects and domains;
- Experience in producing design calculations (preferably using MathCad);
- Creativity and experience across the design lifecycle including undertaking requirements capture, concept generation, development and down selection;
- Familiarity with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry;
- Experience in the production of design documentation, including optioneering reports, specifications and requirements capture documents;
- Computer aided design experience;
- Experience of participating and presenting material at formal design reviews;
- Experience in the design of high integrity mechanical handling equipment and operation in a safety critical environment;
- Finite Element Analysis (ABAQUS, LS-DYNA or similar);
- Experience of testing/commissioning equipment into service;
- Experience working in the nuclear or other safety critical industry.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T) teams provide independent and objective advice in mission-critical sectors. Join us to make a direct difference in helping our country to achieve its security and defence goals. From advisory, conceptual design and acquisition, through transformation, manufacture, certification and in-service support. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in the industry.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. So, you'll be part of a culture that wants to see more women in senior roles. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
Meeting your needs
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward," a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Diversity & inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-ADST #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs