Network Systems Specialist
Network Systems Specialist
Why join us?
This position is based out of our office in Vancouver or Burnaby and reports to Manager, Rail Communications Systems. It is responsible for delivering solutions which include signalling and train control, and communications systems.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Technical management of transit network system solutions and technologies including routers, switches, firewalls, proxy servers, network management servers and network software services in an Industrial Control System environment with focus on Rail & Transit applications and projects
- Coverage and throughput planning for networks including appropriate network architecture and structure
- System design to meet operational capacity, project functionality and highly fault tolerant and resilient performance requirements
- Working with the System Design teams, other Domain teams and the System Integration and Requirements teams on specification and delivery of Network systems into the overall transit, urban rail and heavy freight project solutions
- Interfacing with 3rd party groups whose services may need to be carried and delivered over the network system(s) and interfaced to the transit computer systems
- Interfacing with design groups (communications, fixed facilities, etc.) and with external team members (architects, code consultants, AHJs, major suppliers, etc.).
- Component, sub-system and system procurement (technical specifications, vendor selections, post-award support, etc.)
- Support of Systems Design in the delivery of Design\Construction\Configuration documentation
- Interaction with Operations and Maintenance teams
- Support of construction, installation, test & commissioning activities in the field
- Assistance with customer staff training and generation of O&M Manuals
What will you contribute?
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant network systems experience with an engineering consulting company
- Computer Engineering degree and P.Eng designation in BC is an asset
- Network systems specialist certification, including Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, or equivalent, is an asset
- Experienced with the systems engineering and design development philosophy in multi-disciplinary environment
- Experienced in selection, design, deployment and setting to work of following in a transit or large campus environment:
- one or more one wired network topologies (for instance Gigabit Ethernet, MPLS-TP)
- wireless networks, including mobility infrastructure and applications
- fibre backbones and optical transmission systems
- Experienced in the generation of technical requirements, specifications, design documents, drawings and submissions
- Familiar with cyber security threat and vulnerability analyses, design criteria and implementing and testing network security solutions in accordance with defined cyber policies
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited direct supervision
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects at one time
- Able to interact with senior staff as technical lead
- Able to interact and take technical lead within discussions with partners, clients and suppliers
- Able to interact with fellow team members, partners and suppliers with excellent interpersonal skills and foster strong communication and collaboration
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances, priorities and situations
- Able to work in design office, project office and field environments
- Up to 10% travel
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com