Part-time Senior Ecologist
Part-time Senior Ecologist
Part-time Senior Ecologist
Why join us?
We are hiring! Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join either our Reno, Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, San Francisco, California, or Oakland, California offices as a Part-Time Senior Ecologist. Atkins will also consider staff that are available in other locations but must be located in Nevada or Northern California. This role will exercise technical expertise and provide project oversight for a diverse range of projects in the field of infrastructure environmental science and consulting. This position will support senior technical staff or act as senior technical staff in the field and in the office, performing natural resource surveys, collecting and analyzing data, preparing reports, supporting cost estimates, and interacting occasionally with clients, subcontractors, private parties, members of the public, and regulatory agencies. You may also participate in business development and marketing efforts over time.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Conduct/participate in natural resource field investigations, including but not limited to waters of the US; potential habitat for threatened and endangered species; vegetative community; presence/absence surveys, specimen collection and handling; construction monitoring; and stormwater and erosion control monitoring and compliance.
- Prepares technical report of findings; supports preparation of permits and NEPA documents and provides peer reviews of reports prepared by others.
- Serves and as in-field team leader for junior staff and technicians.
- Responsible for planning field work and coordinating with various parties as to when and where field work will occur.
- Serves as an in-field team leader for health and safety requirements, including the preparation of safety documents and adherence to company safety protocols and procedures.
- Maintains field notes and other collected data in an organized and useful fashion to meet and safeguard project objectives.
- Effectively communicate the results of studies performed to supervisory and project management staff.
- Support proposal scope, technical approaches, and fee estimates.
- Serves as an in-field point of contact for clients, subcontractors, and various other parties.
- May assist in the management of projects.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
What will you contribute?
- B.S./B.A. or M.S. in a field of Natural Resources such as Wildlife Biology, Botany, Conservation, Ecology. This level may be achieved by Scientists with minimum five years' experience since Bachelor's degree or four years' experience with Master's degree; typical incumbent has six to seven years' experience.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, technical writing, computer and communication skills desired.
- The ideal candidate would have experience in identification of waters of the United States (including wetlands); Section 404/401 permitting including Nationwide Permits, related Pre-construction Notifications, Regional General Permits, and possibly Individual Permits.
- Wildlife and/or botany surveys and compliance.
- Experience with California tiger salamander surveys, vernal pool wetlands, vernal pool fairy shrimp surveys, and Mojave Desert tortoise surveys as an Authorized Biologist, is preferred.
- Experience with BLM plant surveys and other rare plant surveys in California and Nevada preferred.
- Impact analysis including NEPA and related documentation.
- Stormwater and erosion compliance experience.
- Wetland and stream condition assessment. Wetland and stream mitigation.
- Basic stream hydrologic principles.
- GIS skills and GPS equipment familiarity.
- The successful applicant must have a general understanding of one or more of the following industries: infrastructure, transportation, state and local governments, or water quality.
- Prior experience with Sacramento District of the USACE and Caltrans or NDOT projects preferred.
- Experience with the Albuquerque and Sacramento Districts of the USACE helpful.
- Prior absence and presence survey experience as well as USFWS scientific permits or ability to obtain permits also preferred.
- Routine travel is to be expected.
- Must be confident working in harsh and inhospitable outdoor climates in the Western and Southwestern US during all times of the year.
- Must maintain a keen awareness of safety protocols in the field and in the office.
- Position may require use of company vehicle. Incumbent must have valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets company policy.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs