Faithful+Gould are currently looking for a Portfolio Director with a minimum of 20 years’ experience in the management of large scale master planning (low-medium rise) projects in KSA.
The position is to lead a Project Management team for the development of a masterplan for a major mixed use leisure development with a vision to be an exciting destination for residents and visitors alike in alignment with the development strategy for KSA.
You will be required to provide the senior management input into all project delivery related matters and be fully responsible for the successful delivery of services for the engagement(s) assigned to you.
You will be required to act as the single focal point of contact between the Client and the internal and external delivery team members, including multidisciplinary masterplanning Consultants for the development of a conceptual and detailed masterplan for approval by the client board, to ensure that the desired strategic objectives are delivered.
You will be supported by a team including a specialist masterplanning design manager, infrastructure manager and project manager, along with a core team providing project controls and project management functions. The role will require fundamental understanding of the process of masterplan development and approval and providing project management discipline to this process.
Ultimately, once the masterplan moves into a delivery phase it is intended that the Project Director will continue as the PMC’s key lead manager to oversee the client’s masterplanning strategy and alignment of subsequent projects within the masterplanning programme of works.
SNC Lavalin’s Faithful+Gould business is one of the world’s leading integrated project and programme management consultancies, with over 2,400 professionals operating worldwide.
Our aim is to protect and maximize our clients’ interests throughout the planning and delivery of projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, on budget. We pride ourselves on collaborating with client teams and developing long-term relationships.
Key services include - Project management, programme management, project controls, commercial management, cost management and expert scheduling and construction planning.
Our industry is going through a digital transformation and we have been investing in and pioneering digital methods to improve all aspects of our service. We have focused our digital transformation around platform modernization and product development and through standardization and automation, we are achieving efficiencies that are directly passed on our clients who benefit from a consistent quality of service as well as the savings.
Active in the Middle East for over 20 years, we have offices in the UAE, Qatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia. We hire and retain only the best people in the industry. Our success is built on recruiting – and then developing – brilliant people from a broad range of professional and cultural backgrounds. It’s precisely this diversity of talent that sets us apart.
Acquired by SNC Lavalin in 2017, we also have an extensive depth of geographic exposure across 50 countries and the breadth of 53,000 experts. As one of the largest engineering contractors, we have access to 17,000 staff in the Middle East making us one of the largest multidisciplinary consultancies in the region.
- Generally you will have 20+ years total experience and have a track record of working on large scale Masterplanned projects for a Project Management Consultancy for 7 years, ideally with 5+ years’ experience of working in the region.
- Built Asset and Infrastructure master plan development experience is essential
- Strategic thinker with strong presenting acumen and client facing skills
- Ideally you should possess a degree in a construction related discipline and hold a membership/Chartership from a construction related professional body.
- Arabic speaking would be a beneficial, but not essential
You will be responsible for at least the following areas and duties in your role:
- Implement a high-level effective project management framework and project execution statement. Provide guidance and advice to other staff members in relation to the production of the project execution plan, review content and take ultimate responsibility for content prior to issue on the project (i.e ‘Development of Master Plan’).
- Define and implement criteria for control and management of the project
- Monitor, review and ultimately take responsibility for the content of the project controls (schedule, cost, risk, scope, deliverables, and performance reporting).
- Ensure the structure of the master schedule is in line with the envisaged or agreed project WBS and provide strategic guidance to the schedule formulation.
- Monitor and oversee progress status updates of the project controls and where necessary liaise with project stakeholders to lead mitigation strategies and improvement initiatives.
- Monitor and ensure the Design Deliverables programme under the consultancy contracts is in place, fully reviewed and approved by the necessary project stakeholders and that all revisions and or progress updates are thoroughly reviewed and accepted.
- Monitor the Design Management Plan and be responsible for managing the project through the stage-gate and approvals process implement for the masterplan approvals.
- Monitor and ensure that Stakeholder management with third parties is adequately planned and presented.
- Mange the production of cost estimates (by others) and value engineering workshops for budgeting and cost control.
- Take an active and leading role in the control of ‘time’ on the project, ensuring a protocol and full review of early warnings is in place, and generally ensure a project structure, and personal ownership of changes, is implemented.
- Ensure that a formal risk management process is in place on the project, utilising agreed BMS risk register and management process.
- Hold, chair and lead risk meeting and actively participate in formulation of mitigation and control measures. Regularly discuss risk management
Execution Phase Management:
- Manage the relationships between all project stakeholders to facilitate effective communications and outcomes
- Manage the design team and performance of delegated responsibilities
- Establish an effective and universal strategy to address major issues that may arise with the delivery teams (by others)
- Ensure that any execution teams receives the necessary client and stakeholder decisions in a timely fashion
- Establish a mechanism to ensure collaborative problem solving with the delivery team, which will involve regular dialogue with external PMCs, consultants, contractors, team working and risk-sharing
- Monitor the delivery of Contract Administration services by other rand ensure such is protecting the Client as far as possible. Pro-actively monitor this service to ensure active claims protection and management is in place through the issue of contractual correspondence and record maintenance. Note if Faithful+Gould is fulfilling the role of Contract Administrator further project specific roles and responsibilities will be required to be set out in the Project Management Plan section and specific sign-off from the assigned PMO director will be necessary.
- Invest in sound people management principles to ensure that the team of staff, contractors and other partners works well and provides a supportive environment for the achievement of project and individual objectives
- Uphold the values of the Company through your actions and assist to enforce Company standards at all times
- Demonstrate clear leadership
- Manage the welfare and motivation of all company direct reports, providing leadership, guidance and encouragement
- Mentor and guide direct reporting staff to grow, improve, develop and together with Senior
- Management set clear career and role objectives.
- Plan for and undertake annual performance reviews in line with company processes.
- Take overall responsibility of the ‘cost’ element of the project, even if through the monitoring and management of a third party cost consultant. If the engagement also includes cost consultancy services project specific responsibilities will need to be included in the Project Management Plan and discussed with your assigned director.
- Ensure effective budget control is in place across the project, and that such is reviewed and updated on minimum monthly basis.
- Where applicable lead and oversee the value management strategy.
- Oversee the award of contracts and review on behalf of the Client.
- Negotiate and convert contracts as required by the project(s)
- Manage the commercial performance of the project for Faithful+Gould in line with corporate governance requirements.
- As the lead team member for the company assigned to the project you will have overall responsibility to manage and facilitate a pro-active and positive relationship with the Client.
- Identify and resolve disputes quickly and reasonably, taking the lead role in the resolution of any disputes that may arise.
- Lead the process of Client engagement, through regular meetings, presentations and discussions during the project delivery. Be comfortable leading such scenarios and exhibit exemplar communication skills, representing the company well and in a professional manner in all cases.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with client representatives, consultants, contractors and other project stakeholders
- Receive and review detailed reports on the project from the design and site delivery team
- Establish formal reporting arrangements on project progress for the Client and Company
- Maintain up-to-date project site sheets and resumes for the project team for use by the Company
- Identify and communicate potential business development opportunities to the Company
- Actively promote the interests of the Company within the industry.
Attitude & behaviours:
A Winning Attitude, you focus on your goals, managing project resources as applicable, whilst highlighting potential new or repeat business opportunities.
Customer Driven, you fully contribute to excellent customer service and understand the customers’ changing business and project needs.
Ambassador for F+G and Atkins, you take pride in your work and the work F+G does and you share this with your colleagues and clients.
Meet the Challenge, you always seek out new learning opportunities to ensure your technical skills and knowledge are current. You assist/mentor more junior colleagues and peers with their development
Aware, you have an understanding of the wider F+G and Atkins regional goals and an awareness of the dynamics of relationships with colleagues and clients
Delivers, you develop delivery plans for projects, involve others and ensure objectives are met.
A Team Player, you contribute to a positive, friendly environment, helping to set the tone for colleagues. You help build relationships across teams and with clients.
Engaging, you contribute concisely and effectively with clients and other consultants. You respect other points of view and seek out the best result in discussions.
Adaptable, you challenge the status quo and perform to a high standard in an uncertain environment, in pursuit of performance improvement.
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary;
- Accommodation allowance;
- Transportation allowance;
- Annual leave;
- Medical and life insurance cover;
- Company gratuity scheme;
- Discretionary bonus scheme;
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Assistance Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultants
Our Latest Articles