Practice Manager (Associate Director) – Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology (Midlands, South West & Wales Practice)
Atkins is seeking to attract an Associate Director to contribute to the success of its Infrastructure business. As a member of the Practice Leadership Team, this is a rare and exciting, senior, strategic appointment to lead our growing Midlands, South West & Wales Practice (currently over 75 people in 4no. locations (Bristol, Exeter, Birmingham and Derby)) within the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology National Practice, and forms part of Atkins plans to further grow its Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology capability over the next 5 years.
Atkins is renowned for an array of significant projects, in the UK and overseas, across the Aviation, Cities & Development, Transport, Defence, Energy and Water Markets. This role provides an exciting opportunity to work across our markets as well as playing to your strengths with a technical leadership, design and key account management role leading the Midlands, South West & Wales Practice and working on our signature projects.
Representing Atkins both in the UK and Internationally, you will have already established your own reputation for the highest standards of services delivery and technical excellence across a broad range of major complex projects. With a true passion for engineering, your proven track record for creating solutions, design and construction delivery will be maximised to reach its full potential.
As a key member of the Infrastructure Engineering team, you will be fully comfortable in taking the lead on projects; providing the appropriate technical guidance and professional challenge to further develop your team, as well as making an active contribution to the success of Atkins business through our significant internal and external markets.
This role offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity to an ambitious and enthusiastic individual to fully maximise your broad range of technical knowledge, leadership and client relationship skills within an environment where further progression will be very much supported and encouraged.
The position requires strong credibility in the marketplace, proven leadership skills and technical excellence, and will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to shape the capability of the Midlands, South West & Wales Practice.
Drawing on Atkins global reach and expertise you will foster relationships with industry leading clients, decision makers and industry stakeholders to secure and deliver world class projects across our markets. If you want to be stimulated intellectually, to challenge yourself professionally and be part of a dynamic team, then we would like to hear from you.
This position offers a unique opportunity to establish oneself within Atkins Infrastructure Division with substantial potential for career progression (in the UK and / or overseas), supported by a structured programme to support your continued development.
The Atkins Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice is founded on experience and dynamism, armed with a can-do attitude and underpinned by exemplary technical, engineering, operational and leadership backgrounds across our sector. This growing profitable business encourages and presents real opportunities and further development for high calibre engineering professionals.
With a credible reputation for the highest standards of service delivery and technical excellence on a broad range of multi-disciplinary projects, key requirements for this role include:
- Expertise in the design delivery of large scale projects at senior level across the UK.
- An ability to hit the ground running at Associate Director level, bringing a broad mix of project delivery experience within a multi-disciplinary environment; proven management and leadership experience within a consultancy environment.
- A successful track record in the design management / project management and construction delivery of complex projects.
- A natural flair for creating a challenging team environment encouraging new ideas and initiatives that benefit both clients and the business.
- An ability to build credibility and relationships quickly at senior level in the industry and within Atkins; communicating effectively at all levels.
- A role model who enjoys growing, leading and motivating teams, and gain respect from colleagues; in addition to being a Line Manager to senior professionals, you will be prepared to guide and mentor as challenges arise.
- An ability to work collaboratively with fellow colleagues, delivery partners and team members to ensure successful results and effective delivery.
- Technically credible as an engineering professional, with a creative flair for broadening client relationships and winning new projects to act as a Technical Authority for civil infrastructure design projects.
- Broad technical background that extends beyond purely technical, including the ability to offer strategic thinking/thought leadership on civil infrastructure matters. A thorough understanding of the nature of technical and business services provided to the sector is essential.
- Proven track record in coordinating and delivering technically excellent studies and projects on time and to budget.
- Knowledge of the markets and ability to build on current client relationships and a hunger to establish new client contacts
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key drivers of our clients.
- A successful track record of work winning with strong experience of leading major bids
- Proven project management capability and business acumen to act as Project Director on civil infrastructure projects; assuming overall technical, project team and financial accountability for projects, including direct liaison with external and internal clients.
- Recognition that international work brings international travel, and a willingness to undertake commissions overseas.
- An awareness of emerging trends, developing technologies and evolving best practices to maintain our position at the forefront of our markets.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable.
- Planning and control of technical resources to deliver projects on time and to budget.
- Proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and contribute to a good working environment.
- Experienced in developing compelling proposals (understanding the business models adopted in the Market) including understand the technical and commercial risks associated with projects.
- An appetite and energy to get involved and get results.
Our Latest Articles