Principal Civil/Structural Engineer (Nuclear & Power)
Principal Civil/Structural Engineer (Nuclear & Power)
With the COVID-19 pandemic the first half of 2020 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced. Despite these challenges, the UK Nuclear industry remains a key sector to deliver Net Zero and provide low carbon energy for future generations, and as such we are delighted to re-start our recruitment campaign to attract the best talent into Atkins. The past few months have also highlighted what a truly global business we are, with our use of digital collaboration platforms enabling globally diverse teams to continue delivering for our clients no matter where staff are based. Our well-established flexible working practices and digital approach have proven that having a positive work life balance is achievable even in the most challenging of times, making Atkins a great place to develop your career. Although the future remains uncertain, the tools, systems and support available to you upon joining will enable a successful, remote induction into the business and will enhance your ability to work flexibly and remotely if required.
Atkins have been operating in the UK nuclear sector for over 50 years, and today work across all of the current and prospective nuclear licensed sites in the UK. On nuclear new build projects alone, we have delivered over 7 million man-hours of support over the past decade. This makes Atkins the biggest nuclear new build organisation in the UK with opportunities to work on Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C projects.
In addition to our New Build market, we have excellent opportunities in Power Generating Assets and Reactor Decommissioning markets.
We are a multi-discipline organisation founded on a strong civil engineering heritage, and we operate across the full scope of these projects and at different phases of their lifecycle. A particular strength is supporting our clients though the planning and detailed design phases of their projects to ensure the projects move seamlessly into the construction phases. We then continue to provide engineering oversight during construction and through commissioning.
At present we are for the most part working from home, however, if we are able to return to some office working this role will be based in our Bristol office. You will be working on a portfolio of Nuclear & Power projects of national and international significance, at the forefront of the addressing modern energy needs.
You will strategically plan and execute technical delivery of huge projects achieved through outstanding leadership and technical insight to deliver results that delight your client. You will drive innovation and efficiency into your design solutions including use of value engineering and our ‘best in class’ digital solutions such as virtual reality.
You will cultivate strong working relationships with clients, working with confidence and professionalism at the heart of modern engineering solutions.
You will be an ambitious and driven experienced chartered engineer with the ICE or IStructE looking to become a significant leader in our business.
You will want to be at the heart of strategic planning and execution of technically complex projects of varying scales and have significant experience of demonstrable success delivering with large multidisciplinary teams.
You should have:
- A very strong technical background, including first principles analysis and knowledge and use of relevant UK and international codes and standards.
- Be a Chartered Engineer with full membership of The Institution of Civil Engineers and / or The Institution of Structural Engineers,
- A Degree accredited by The Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers or another recognised body.
- Experience of at least three of the following aspects is highly desirable:
- Significant experience of leading or managing a multidisciplinary, or complex single discipline, design team
- Design of nuclear structures and/or infrastructure.
- Stakeholder management
- Preparation and leadership of large project bids, and winning work
- Leading the design of concrete, steel and masonry structures using recognised codes, standards and specifications.
- Recognised training or considerable experience with engineering software packages, preferably including FE analysis.
- Experience of concept and detailed design phases.
- Responsibility for budget and schedule for engineering tasks.
- Design and analysis of structures under dynamic loading such as seismic, impact is beneficial.
- Successful management of project budgets, contracts and commercial arrangements.
- Working with contractors on site to deliver the implementation of engineering solutions.
- Pastoral Care, Line Management and Group Leadership of other engineers and engineering teams, including development of staff and performance management.
- ICE Supervising Civil Engineer or other professional institution mentor status
Additional Information and Benefits
Travel to other Atkins premises and client sites may be necessary. You should be willing to work flexibly and outside of normal working hours to satisfy the requirements of the role.
Please refer to the Atkins website for details of our benefits package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Civil/Structural Engineer (Nuclear & Power)The BusinessWith the COVID-19 pandemic the first half of 2020 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs