Principal Engineer - Structures (Buildings - ME Region)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins, member of SNC Lavalin is one of the worlds’ leading engineering design consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
As a provider of multi-disciplinary technical services to the built environment, Atkins Transport Planning are committed to planning, enabling and designing excellence in the delivery of first class solutions which combines innovation, imagination and best practices. Consultancy Practice of the Transportation Division of Atkins in India supports Atkins’ various overseas operations, including those located in the India, UK, Europe, Middle East and North America.
Covid -19 Update for India
We’re committed to our vision of People. Drive. Success!
This implies that our Recruitment team would still be actively involved in the hiring and would contact the deserving candidates, once we start proceeding towards normalcy.
The below mentioned jobs, are open to those who wish to take up new assignments, once the pandemic subsides as we pave way for more futuristic openings, spanning our various disciplines/departments.
The applicants are requested to apply to only one relevant job posting as this would enable the recruiters to screen the applications, comprehensively and then get in touch with them.
Function and Scope
To lead the Building Structures Team fulfilling a senior role within the Building Structures Department, providing personnel and technical leadership and mentoring to team focused on the delivery of MEPD property projects.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the highest levels of Technical Delivery of Structural Engineering design in line with Atkins Design Principles to ensure the delivery of quality.
Liaise with other discipline leads to maintain a holistic overview of the delivery of projects to meet time, quality and budgetary targets, whilst meeting or exceeding clients’ expectations. An essential component will be to monitor and maintain resources requires for all current and future projects through securing resources from the greater GDC resource pool as necessary.
This person will also make positive contributions to assisting with marketing of our services through, bid and proposal preparation, and general promotional activities.
Line of Reporting
To head of ME Business and discipline lead in the MEPD.
- Ensure for all projects at the commencement of each stage that full briefing documentation have been received and reviewed for completeness and handovers have been conducted before GDC teams commence with MEPD projects
- Provide technical leadership and support to engineering teams undertaking all packages of structural engineering analysis and design to required quality and industry best practise including the preparation of design documents including calculation packages, reports, presentations and specifications from MEPD projects in the GDC.
- Support project leads in the leadership of technical interfaces and coordination of design within the discipline and multidisciplinary technical interfaces across disciplines at a project level with the MEPD teams.
- Responsible for ensuring technical quality is consistency achieved through regular monitoring and review of work by others or under their supervision including reviewing design work carried out by members of the team in line with project specific requirements and Atkins BMS
- Critical evaluate, review, assess and provide recommendations for improvements to all aspects of the technical design processes required for offshore working and provide potential mitigation strategies and improvements.to drive continuous improvement processes.
- Lead in the support, guidance and mentoring to all members of the team to develop there competencies.
- Ensure that interface with BIM team lead to coordinate resource requirements for all projects
- Develop and maintain relationships built in trust within the discipline, across the GDC teams and with MEPD teams and senior MEPD leadership in both locations.
- Overview of all work stage budgets for all projects resulting from detailed monitoring and reforecasting of resource demands to delivery work packages within allocated budgets and programme and provide mitigation strategies to address potential issues with budgets.
- Attending design team meetings, briefing sessions and project reviews are required by projects.
- Travel as necessary to MEPG office in Dubai for project start-ups briefing and close outs as required.
- Lead risk management through all project ensuring that both GDC technical and commercial risks are identified and mitigation strategies put in place and agreed with MEPD as necessary.
Personal Specification Requirements
- Have a recognized degree in Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 20 years professional experience with minimum 10 years working in the Middle East preferred
- Chartered Structural Engineer (MIStructE or equivalent).
- Developed technical knowledge of Structural Engineering of Building-Type Projects, with particular reference to Structural Steelwork, Structural Concrete and associated Structural Analysis
- Working knowledge of relevant structural design software including but not limited to ETABS, Safe, Staad Pro, Robot, Strand 7, Prokon.
- Design/Detailing Software
- Proven experience in the development of structural concepts and schemes for various building typologies and forms.
- Proven track record in leading teams of people.
- Technical knowledge and experience of European/US-based design codes/standards and Statutory Regulations.
- Experience in collaborative working and coordination within the team, internal Atkins disciplines and external consultants and clients
- Confidence to work within multi-disciplinary design environments.
- Excellent planning, time management and communication skills.
- Knowledge in French would be an advantage.
- Culturally sensitive with experience in operating in a multicultural environment Develops/nurtures relationships across businesses
- Has the client at the forefront of thinking
- Responds well when there is a clear need to support the success of other parts of the business
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving working practices
- Always delivers what is required, but also puts in that little bit extra when needed
- Finds ways of building a good rapport with customers and to better understand their needs
- Quick to ask for help on technical or practical matters
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We are an accredited Investor in People and run a Continuous Development Programme.
We in Atkins believe that people matter the most and this belief of ours has led to instilling a culture that embraces people irrespective of their race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. In today’s global market, diverse groups make better decisions and that better decisions lead to better business results, as such Atkins proactively recruiting and onboarding candidates from a diverse and talented applicant pool.
Our Latest Articles