Project Control Engineer
Project Control Engineer
The Project Support Officer is an important role in project support function. The primary objective of this role is to support the Project Manager and/or Programme Manager in the delivery of a project, in line with the time/cost/quality requirements.
Mode of Employment: Third party Contract (1year contract to start with and extendable)
The nature of role of a project support officer takes centre point for a project along with the project manager. A project support officer ensures smooth running of the project, by being there when meetings need arranging, agendas set, and actions chased. The role further encompasses assisting project managers with the development and implementation of projects, including project plans, policies and solutions and contributes to issue resolution and escalation, research, analysis activities and planning and monitoring activities.
The role provides strong foundation to staff in their early career to grow in the project controls/project management career path. Table 1-1 shows role description as per SNCL job classification system.
1.Responsibilities & Activities
Assist in the management and reporting of project finances and cash flow that would involve:
- Use of financial database tools to collate data
- Preparation of financial reports in formats defined by the PM
- Raising payment certificates and invoice templates
- Collating and monitoring cost accruals and invoicing
- Tracking spend and contractor timesheets
- Producing project KPI dashboards using technological advancements
Maintain project progress-tracking databases and assist the PM in liaising with project teams to record and monitor task progress. Further project support officers:
- Keep a close watch on the project schedule and monitor deadlines for each project task. They ensure that every deadline is attainable and report any potential delays to the project manager.
- Are the custodians of project information – and the control of it
- Manage the release of incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Manage registers and file systems to ensure compliance with quality procedures
- Assist PM with keeping project KPIs up to date
- Assist PM in ensuring compliance as per the Project Plan and keeping the Project Plan updated.
- Are responsible for maintaining crucial project documents that track project progress, by ensuring their accuracy and acceptance with the PM, and filing them in an appropriate database or library.
Project support officers:
- Support audits, reviews, compliance, health checks, gateways and configuration management. The tasks could take the form of collating the data, setting up peer reviews, liaising with the quality department or maintaining the project information in a library or repository.
- Support project managers or technical leads in implementing correct quality assurance processes and procedure
- Analysis and reporting of quality KPI.
The clue is in the title – project support officer – and support in whatever shape it takes is something that really makes the support officer indispensable. Apart from organizing meetings, setting up agendas and chasing actions, a project support officer is also responsible for:
- Administration checks on deliverables
- Attending and recording minutes for project meetings
- Recording minutes at internal meetings
- Providing a point of contact for project team queries
- Ensuring travel arrangements and team events when needed, last-minute project purchases and getting the client’s time in the diary.
2.Key Performance Indicators
Positive feedback from PM and project team Routine outputs (reports etc) provided on time and to required quality Demonstrate willingness and capability to pick up additional skills and take on further responsibility e.g.
- Identify ways to improve processes of tasks
- Notify PM of own availability / capacity and identify additional tasks that could be taken on to improve utilisation and development
- Collaborate with other PCs to share knowledge and ways to develop ‘Best Practice’
- Implementation of automation techniques to drive efficiency in the project delivery
3.Key attributes required to deliver the role
Strong IT Skills including MS Office (particularly Excel), Adobe and able to understand and use document management tools. Able to quickly understand task requirements and work independently to deliver required outputs in timely manner Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail Excellent critical, creative thinking and analytical skills. Good interpersonal skills including ability to liaise with personnel at all levels in a multi-discipline team environment. An analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills. A successful project officer is able to multi-task in a high volume, fast-pace work environment, is a team player with a high level of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals. Thorough familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and project scheduling computer applications Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure, trouble-shoot, and to meet short-term and long-term deadlines. Demonstrated experience in budget and financial management.
4.Factors influencing advancement in the role
- Positive performance against KPIs
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an equal opportunities employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs