This vacancy has now expired... why not:
At Atkins we advise our clients how to adapt to the fast-rising tide of digital disruption and realise the desired benefits from their transformational change programmes.
Our consulting services are provided across the entire project lifecycle to our clients across sectors as diverse as aviation, defence, security, local and central government. We also work alongside our colleagues in the other parts of the Atkins business world-wide.
Within Atkins Portfolio, Programme and Project Management Services (P3MS) Practice, we are seeking to grow significantly, reflecting our strong brand and demand for our PMO Services from our clients and from other parts of the organisation and have opportunities in our Silchester and Bristol offices for Project Controllers / Project Accountants to join our internal Project Controls team to support Atkins Project Managers.
The Atkins Project Controls team offers the opportunity to support projects from start to finish with a primary focus on supporting the financial aspects of project management. Your main area of focus will be updating cost trackers, managing time and expense bookings, preparing invoices and contributing to the weekly and monthly project financial reporting. As you gain experience your role will be expanded to include monitoring and reporting on risk, controlling contract changes, interacting with stakeholders, coordinating with suppliers, project planning, resourcing and general business support.
In this role, you will encounter a variety of technical, managerial and people challenges, whilst taking advantage of the support and development opportunities provided. This is an excellent opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and attributes that fit firmly within the project management career pathway.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining Atkins, you benefit from a working environment that prioritises integrity and we also expect everyone who joins us to display these characteristics.
A working knowledge and demonstrable experience in all of the following areas:
- Strong numerical skills – you enjoy working with numbers;
- Strong Excel Skills – you will have a good working knowledge of Excel;
- Good attention to detail; high level of accuracy;
- Ability to manipulate big data using spreadsheets;
- Problem solving and analytical skills, enabling innovative solutions and insightful decision making and recommendations;
- Confidence working independently, using own initiative and managing own workload; also enjoying working as part of a team.
Experience of working in a project delivery environment is desirable but not essential.
Colleague and Client Interaction
- Supporting colleagues in their day-to-day interactions with clients
- Engaging with our clients and/or representatives to provide day-to-day information as required
- Building relationships with colleagues at all levels in a business environment
Practice and Business Development
- Sharing skills and knowledge with colleagues
- Provide project controls support for the development of bids for consulting work
- Awareness of commercial drivers and implications, commercially astute
- Results focused with the drive to keep on learning
Additionally, you will display the following characteristics:
- Teamwork – Ability to work cooperatively with others and provide help where required
- Communication –Concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills.
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt approach to individual situations and remain calm under pressure
- Customer Focus – Delivers a high level of customer service to external and internal customers
- Initiative – Ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- Ethics and integrity – A collaborative team-player and with high behavioural standards and business ethics
- Collegiate – Manage own workload effectively as well as supporting colleagues across the P3M Services Practice and wider business
Qualifications we expect:
- Project Management, Financial (for example AAT level 3) would be advantageous or you could be working towards these types of professional qualifications
- Intermediate Excel skills would be highly desirable
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint or equivalent.
Why work for Atkins?
With Atkins you will be in a trusted, supported position, primarily client based, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience and learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. You will be supported in learning the skills required to support, monitor and control projects throughout their full life cycle. We will empower, trust and stretch you from day one. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We welcome applications from those who are looking for flexible working patterns.