Project Manager - Highways
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. They build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins’ Transportation is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first choice designer for local and national highway authorities, Network Rail, contractors and developers. We are working on a number of high profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade and Smart Motorways programme through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England, Cross Rail, Great Western Electrification Programme, HS2 and related projects.
We are looking for dynamic, charismatic Project Managers with broad ranging experience and a high level of competence in delivering multi-disciplinary civil engineering projects to join our Civil & Structures Engineering Practice.
You will be a role model for providing rigour in the project management of significant highway infrastructure schemes. You will lead teams delivering projects and project portfolios effectively, efficiently and economically whilst ensuring all Client objectives and project targets are met.
Our current workload includes projects of all sizes in London and across southern England including;
• Major portfolios of work in association with Highways England’s Road Investment and Junction Improvement Programmes (RIP, JIP),
• Significant projects for local authority clients,
• Infrastructure developments for Transport for London.
You will provide project management support and guidance to Clients, other managers and team members delivering optimised delivery solutions. You will be required to lead all aspects of the projects assigned to you making optimum use of technical and other specialists.
This role will be based in our Chelmsford Office.
• Full Member of the Association of Project Managers (MAPM) or the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or equivalent.
Proven competency, experience and success in;
• Delivering projects through all stages of the project lifecycle including bidding, initiation, planning, managing, controlling and closing projects using appropriate controls and software;
• Developing bid strategies into coherent delivery models understanding objectives and success criteria within the external, internal and contractual framework.
• Generating the scope of works with work breakdown structures (WBS), acceptance criteria and key performance indicators appropriate to the scale of the project with effective implementation of change control.
• Identifying and defining the programme/project organisational breakdown structure (OBS) ensuring integration with the WBS to permit schedule and cost performance to be measured.
• Producing and working to project schedules determining; durations, effort, sequencing and input dependencies (including stakeholder inputs) monitoring actual against baseline.
• Establishing budgets using Earned Value Management and other techniques for effective cost planning, effectively managing contingency, risk and cash flow.
• Risk management ensuring effective risk management strategies and methodologies that cover all areas of the WBS and communicated to all project participants.
• Ensuring that all project contributors effectively manage resources to ensure the delivery of the key performance indicators for the project.
• Developing communication, risk, quality and other strategies for the effective delivery of the project.
• Monitoring and controlling the project through project plans, progress analysis, forecasting and use of lean techniques.
• Following quality, safety, security, environmental processes to
• Managing 3rd party suppliers, complying with legal and ethical obligations and understanding contract law and standard contract models used in civil engineering projects.
• Use of appropriate project closure plans, ensuring knowledge capture and lessons learnt are passed on to others
• Proven ability to delegate effectively in the delivery of projects.
• Proven ability and experience in applying business policies, quality and environmental management systems, project governance procedures and financial control systems to team management, projects and project portfolios.
• Conversant with legal, contractual and technical considerations affecting the delivery of the service/portfolio.
• Proven ability to help identify and capitalise on business development opportunities, including the provision of fee estimates and developing submissions as part of a tender process.
• An understanding of the commercial implications of design solutions and assessment processes
• Experience of working on a variety of contracts (Design and Build would be an advantage), and NEC3 Professional Services Contracts.
Stakeholders and Clients:
• A track record of providing advice to Clients and Stakeholders on commercial, contractual and technical matters.
• An ability to identify all the desired outcomes of a project/service, with experience in the successful management of change.
• Effective communication with others with the proven ability to coach and develop team members, including formal performance development methodologies.
• Proven ability to build teams, creating an environment to motivate individuals and ensure effective teamwork.
• Experience of working in all project lifecycle phases, from feasibility studies to site supervision;
• Experience of working on major infrastructure schemes, including highways or rail projects.
• Awareness of the Designer’s responsibilities under the CDM Regulations.
• Experience of using governance frameworks of major clients.
• Management of all aspects of project/portfolio delivery as assigned from time to time.
• Responsible to the Practice Manager for undertaking all aspects of project management, operational team leadership and line management for staff within your team
• Ensuring timely and accurate completion of all operational business tools in relation to staff within the project/team as appropriate.
• Complying with and championing company processes and policies, and ensuring adherence to safety, welfare, quality and environmental requirements.
• Planning and managing workload through bespoke systems, allocating appropriate, technically skilled resources to projects and tasks, ensuring efficient delivery of services and maximising resource utilisation.
• Delivering service and project outcomes to the highest technical standards within time, quality and budget constraints, setting and agreeing objectives as required by Clients.
• Preparing and coordinating fee estimate and technical/quality submissions in association with specific tendering opportunities as required.
• Ensuring project margins are maintained, change control is effectively managed and re-work minimised to ensure commercial targets are met.
• Engaging with Clients at project and portfolio level, building relationships to ensure the effective provision of services, understanding and complying with contract terms, meeting and exceeding expectations.
• Monitoring and reporting on performance to Clients, stakeholders, senior managers and team members using the most effective communication techniques from written reports, formal presentations and other media as appropriate.
• Assisting with staff recruitment, developing and mentoring others to maximise individual/team performance, undertaking performance reviews, and creating diverse teams.
• Motivating individuals and teams to be effective, efficient, economic and creative.
• Encouraging innovation and continuous improvement to provide added value to Clients, portfolios and projects.
• Managing welfare and safety of the team, applying appropriate safe systems of work and managing/undertaking specific risk assessments.
• You will have excellent communication skills with a proven ability to influence others.
• You will have a proven ability to solve problems with skills in resolving conflict and managing risk.
• You will demonstrate a high level of commitment and flexibility and be eager to accept responsibility.
• You will act with integrity and professionalism, gaining the trust of Clients and colleagues.
• You will have the ability to prioritise work to deliver successful outcomes.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.