Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Oakland, California team as a Resident Engineer- Rail Construction.
Under general direction, provides technical expertise to the direction of the firm's construction services program activities at one or various project sites. Responsible for the administration and observation of construction activities to determine if the quality of the work performed by the contractor meets clients' needs and governmental requirements, and conforms substantially with plans and specifications. Represents the firm to the construction project group and has ultimate responsibility for the firm's performance on the project. NOTE: Incumbents do not supervise any contractor's activities and are not responsible for job site safety.
Specific duties and responsibilities for the Resident Engineer shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Serves as Owners Representative and is responsible to administer and monitor the Contract until final project closeout is complete;
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert and routinely interact with numerous outside Agencies and internal departments including, but not limited to, the Office of the General Counsel, the Procurement Department, the Office of Civil Rights, and the Office of External Affairs;
- Directly responsible for overall construction project management to include, construction permitting, utilities, traffic, planning, organizing, monitoring and directing of all construction work activities and resources necessary to complete project within budget, scope, schedule, and quality requirements;
- Provides contract coordination between other contracts working within the same transit Operating System;
- Reviews and responds to Contractor’s submittals, Requests for Information (RFI)s, and letters, and maintains project files with the utilization of client’s WongCMS;
- Reviews Contractor submittals for adequacy and accuracy in accordance with the Contract Documents;
- Strictly follows CM’s QA Checklist to monitor the project in progress and prepare progress reports;
- Schedules and conducts weekly progress meetings and prepares meeting summaries;
- Prepares written documents (i.e. correspondence, proposals, reports, performance evaluations and other construction documents);
- Manages and provides technical support to field issues;
- Initiates and evaluates design and field engineering changes during construction;
- Evaluates Contractor’s suggestions for minor changes to contract requirements;
- Reviews Notice of Potential Claims (NOPCs), provides recommendations, and resolves disputes with the Contractor, through the Change Notice/Change Order process if necessary;
- Reviews and processes Change Notices and Change Orders by preparing engineering designs, specifications, costs, independent quantity estimates, and tracking contingency balances associated with necessary changes to the Contract Documents;
- Negotiates protested Change Notices with Contractor for further processing of Change Order;
- Implements and ensures a clients approved quality Assurance Program is successfully executed;
- Plans and organizes the administration and coordination of inspections and inspects and reviews project to monitor compliance with the Contract Documents including building and safety codes, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) requirements, environmental documents and other regulations;
- Reviews material testing data;
- Makes field measurements of completed items of work;
- Inspects construction at substantial and final completion states;
- Tracks construction progress, activities, and use of approved materials and equipment for verification of Contractor’s Payment Applications;
- Reviews Contractor’s progress schedules and documents construction progress through daily reports, project reporting, and project scheduling;
- Reviews and processes monthly progress payments;
- Is responsible for reporting project cost and quality control activities to client;
- Directs subordinate internal staff involved in the observation, testing and sampling of construction materials, observation of construction work, and documentation of plan revisions and work progress;
- Manages, prepares and approves daily supervision and inspection reports;
- Assures M&E receives as-builts and O&M Manuals three (3) months prior to Final acceptance of work;
- Ensures Contractor’s personnel obtains the appropriate owner ID, security badges, and RWP-40 hour training if required;
- Coordinates Contractor’s access to site with the appropriate stakeholders;
- Provides financial management of construction office operations, monitoring costs and expenses, approving and dispersing funds, and coordinating accounting and cost allocation;
- Coordinates construction monitoring with client program manager to resolve problems, disputes and scheduling of work;
- Other tasks as directed by the client and /or supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent. Ten years experience with Bachelor's in a combination of engineering design and construction/construction observation activities, including management and supervision of field personnel. Twenty years experience without degree.
- Strong skills in leadership, organization, management, and oral & written communications.
- Professional Engineer (PE) Registration desired.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) desired.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM) Registration desired.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statement
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles