Safety Analysis Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team as a Safety Analysis Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Supports processing and project activities as matrixed technical support staff providing the Operations Manager with Safety Analysis (SA) expertise and counsel on those activities.
- Implements the SA Program, including development of related training materials and ensures SA related documents and analysis are compliant with appropriate DOE command media and are technically accurate and defensible.
- Performs assessments of the SA and USQ Programs and their implementation as directed and participates in critiques/investigations involving SA related issues, as requested.
- Implements the Unreviewed Safety Question (USQ) Program, including development of related training materials.
- Interface as directed with other external stakeholders (e.g., Defense Nuclear Facilities Review Board) relative to safety analysis activities and issues.
- Assists in identification and/or development of SA implementation/compliance training in support of activities and develops and reports on SA performance indicators.
- Provide technical and regulatory interpretation on matters related to SA Program, including applicable contract requirements.
- Provides recommendations to the Safety Basis Lead and Nuclear Safety Manager regarding USQ issues and significant SA issues.
- Prepares safety basis documents (e.g., Documented Safety Analysis, Technical Safety Requirements, Hazards Analysis, Safety Design Strategy, Preliminary Documented Safety Analysis).
- Supports the integration of SA and design for projects and major modifications, including development of safety design strategies, conceptual safety design reports, preliminary documented safety analysis, and backfit analysis.
- Reviews drafts of Work Packages, procedures, facility modifications, and other documents for integration of the SA into facility activities.
- Provide technical support for emergency preparedness hazards screening and analysis; and transportation documented safety analysis as requested.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and database applications.
- Strong communication, verbal and written skills.
- Proficiency in the use of DOE Tool Box Codes.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Baccalaureate in engineering or related science.
- Minimum of 2 years’ job-related experience, of which 1 year is nuclear.
- Working knowledge and application of the development of safety basis strategies and safety basis documents in the DOE complex in accordance with 10 CFR 830 Subpart B and related DOE orders, guides, and standards (e.g., Order 420.1C, DOE-STD-1189, DOE-STD-3009).
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles