Senior Design Engineer
Senior Design Engineer
With offices throughout the UK, SNC-Lavalin has an extensive history of supporting clients in the UK and overseas. With over 50,000 employees globally and a turnover of £5bn, following the acquisition of WS Atkins in July 2017, we are now in the top 3 of largest Engineering firms in the world.
From providing passenger fleet enhancement services to international operators, owners, and manufacturers, to developing and managing interior refurbishments, train system enhancements, life extension packages and modifications, SNC-Lavalin have the knowledge that matters. We support the full lifecycle of an enhancement project covering feasibility studies to assess options, concept designs and industrial design schemes, engineering design and assessments of fire safety, design assurance and safety assurance, materials procurement, and installation programme management.
To support SNC-Lavalin’s growing Engineering Design team, working as a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the technical delivery of and integration of mechanical designs for rolling stock. You will be working on industry-leading rolling stock modification projects within a global company, with clients throughout the rail sector.
You will work closely with our design managers, specialist engineers and your fellow design engineers to deliver engineering design solutions for industry-leading rolling stock modification projects. Using your experience as a design engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of designs at every stage of the design process, from initial concept work through detail design and on to support of installation if required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following - other duties may be assigned:
- Support our Principals and Lead Designers in the delivery of fully integrated design packages.
- Manage resource, work packages, budgets, project, and commercial risks for the successful delivery of the project.
- On larger project’s be the technical design lead for a specific work package with the support of one or two supporting engineers. You will support, inspire, challenge, and develop them to ensure that the work packages are completed on time, to budget, to the client’s satisfaction and in accordance with SNC-Lavalin’s procedures and safety management system.
- Report to and work with the Principal Design Engineers and Service Leaders to ensure that the resources within the team are allocated appropriately to the workload.
- Work closely with Project Managers to deliver the design projects.
- Building good working relationships with our specialist engineers to gain their input to design when required.
- Have an active contribution to the continuous improvement of the team’s design guides and practices, looking to raise issues where identified and adopting appropriate developments in technology and practices.
- Support the continuous mentoring of developing engineers from our technician and graduate schemes to enhance their competency and the range of skills that SNC-Lavalin offers to its clients whilst ensuring that the Section is well motivated.
- Provide impartial input to design projects as an independent checker, helping to ensure a consistent and high level of quality across all the work that we deliver.
- Delivery of high-quality engineering design work for allocated design packages, within defined timescales and to the required quality.
- Presentation of design concepts and detailed design solutions to project engineers and other colleagues during design reviews.
- Site visits to client and supplier premises for the purposes of conducting design surveys and completing first article inspections or build support.
- Scoping of design tasks and providing design to support the bidding process.
- Good communication and teamwork skills to ensure that your work is developed in accordance with the requirements of the team and the project.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- You will be experienced in the delivery of railway (rolling stock) or similar mechanical engineering design and integration projects, either new build, retro-fitment, modification or refurbishment including the ability to understand the inputs required to support the development of a successful design, and the ability to produce designs which accommodate the product lifecycle (manufacture, install, test, operate, maintain, remove, dispose) or demonstrable skills from similar industries with transferable skills.
- You will be qualified to degree standard or apprenticeship in a relevant discipline, or several years’ related experience and / or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- You must be proficient in the use of Solid Edge, our primary CAD package, or a comparable software package for both 3D modelling and 2D drafting purposes.
- Component/Module installation and packaging in line with Manufacturers or Clients recommended requirements.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of the risks associated with each aspect if the lifecycle of a design; from initial concept through to manufacturing and installation would be beneficial; covering bidding, concept, detailed design, rolling stock approvals, material procurement and installation, maintenance and warranty is a key advantage.
- Experience in the use of Catia and MicroStation software would be advantageous.
- Working knowledge of a Product Lifecycle Management tool (Teamcenter/Windchill etc.) would be desirable.
We offer a professional but nurturing environment for you to better develop in your career whilst exposing you to a wide variety of Rail Infrastructure projects. We also offer competitive salaries, enhanced pension contributions, 33 days annual leave (including Bank Holidays), private medical and dental insurance, gym membership subsidies, flexible working hours and a host of other benefits supporting a range of lifestyles.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs