Senior Engineer Civil 3D - BIM Content Creator
Role and Responsibilities
The Design Transformation program covers all aspects of standardization and automation for the delivery processes across Atkins. As part of this endeavor, Design Re-use is being created and delivered to provide the benefit of standard content management to our global practices internally and to our key clients.
The BIM Content Creator will report to the Design Re-use Lead and work closely with the wider project teams well as EDPM global practices. The BIM Content Creator will form part of the team having responsibility for the day-to-day creation and editing of the Design Re-use libraries. The BIM Content Creator will have to ensure that the DE-Reuse service content is functional and that the content is of a consistent high quality
Specific Technical skill-set requirements: Civil 3D
The duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following activities:
- Excellent understanding of Civil 3D part builder and subassembly composer;
- Capable of performing all duties of a Senior BIM Technician/Engineer as necessary;
- Understand and visualize overall engineering concept and translate concepts to design drawing;
- Analyze sketches, notes and other input material to determine best approach to complete basic content requirements to enable completion of BIM document sets;
- Manage production of BIM 3D Modelling and 2D drawing set from creation, markup and modification based on overall design;
- Draft, edit and finalize design plans and details using appropriate symbols and drafting and modelling standards;
- Use AutoCAD Civil 3D to perform design tasks such as surface analysis, drawing alignments, creating profiles / sections, creating design profiles, basic grading capabilities with 3D Polylines / Feature lines, Grading Groups, and Corridors, and perform volume calculations.
- Perform common grading and volume calculation tasks such as channels, berms and general site grading with support and guidance from engineering staff.
- Assign work to and supervise CAD technicians in the preparation of content requirements, design drawings and details.
- Review completed work products to ensure quality and accuracy;
- Assist in the education and development of CAD technicians and act as resource for design questions;
- Resolve day to day problems of a technical nature;
- Assist in the design and drafting of menu standards and hardcopy file management and maintenance;
- Be involved with the BIM Action Group, supporting, networking, and improving BIM Standards and efficiencies across the company and perform related work as required
Candidates must have knowledge of civil engineering basics knowledge in CAD / BIM environment including sheet organization, topographical data, scales, coordinate systems, and a general understanding of site grading and volume calculations.
Specialist Duties Include
- Maintaining the content of the library.
- Liaise with Design Re-use lead, Content Checkers and Approvers to complete the content on-boarding process.
- Liaise with Practice Coordinators or similar in our client organizations to identify proposed content for the Service.
- Present proposed content to the Design Re-use lead for review pending inclusion into the Content Service.
- Creation of content for the library based on the Design Re-use lead recommendations.
- Undertake checking of Service Content created/edited by other Content Creators before being submitted for approval.
- Provide support to end-users of the system.
- Researching ideas for content development.
- Undertaking global (or partial) updates to all content.
- Excellent skills to become proficient in the use of all BIM platforms used within the EDPM for De Re-use
- Formal Education and Certification
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a major engineering (B.Arch/B.E/B.Tech in Civil Engineering)
- Knowledge and Experience in ability to read, analyze and interpret red line drawings from Engineers, CAD Managers, or others on the project team. Strong communication skills to include the ability to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions, and the ability to interact effectively to maintain a team environment.
- Excellent knowledge of BIM processes and platforms.
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in one or more engineering disciplines.
- Proven track record in project delivery and team working.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals and procedures.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries from engineering and CAD/BIM staff or other members of the company.
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, procedure manuals, and presentations conforming to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to project team and clients
- Be a highly positive team member, contributing to a team culture founded on openness, trust and respect.
- Strong sense of collaboration, valuing shared success and making a measurable contribution to that success.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Be technology curious.
- Be able to communicate effectively with stakeholders, immediate team and senior management.
- Be proactive, able to demonstrate initiative and drive in coordinating and carrying out tasks.