Job Title: Senior Engineer-Electrical
Atkins Electrical Networks business are seeking a Chartered Principal Engineer who thrives on team work and wants to deliver for our clients, for our business and for yourself.
We are looking for people who have relevant experience of working in the transmission and distribution sector, enjoys a variety of work solving and delivering engineering solutions to our clients and who aspires to contribute to and grow our business developing new client relationships and new work opportunities.
The role will be based in our Leeds Thorpe Park office but presents the opportunity to join a larger Electrical Networks team distributed across the UK and work with colleagues internationally through our Global Design Centre.
About the Team
As a well-established business, the focus of Atkins Electrical Networks business is building long term relationships with clients in the power sector, of which we hold a number of long term framework contracts through which we deliver our clients work.
Working across the transmission and distribution and infrastructure sectors, our work typically spans across techno-economic studies, HV FEED, HV Design, project management and Regulatory and Advisory, supporting our clients in a constantly changing dynamic market.
What you’ll be doing
As a Senior Engineer, your work will largely be spread across 3 activities:
1) Delivering Work: You will be working on a variety of projects, leading or contributing to the technical engineering requirements and helping to build a strong relationship with our clients. You will be client-facing as well as being involved in the day to day delivery of our work.
2) Mentoring and Development: You will be supporting on the job mentoring and development of more junior members of the team and supporting peers. Atkins focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities.
3) Win Work: You will help to identify and capture internal and external opportunities and support our business development cycle by leading or contributing to new opportunities. You’ll have the capability to take a client brief and provide a comprehensive bid response.
You’ll need to have
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartership with the IET
- Minimum 7 years consultancy experience in the power sector.
- Good knowledge of electrical codes and standards
- Experience in preparing Single Line Diagram, Key Line Drawings (SLD, KLD) and Protection drawings.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations / studies (e.g. fault calculations, relay settings, voltage drop, cable sizing) and prepare system protection requirements design basis
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to maintaining existing and developing new client relationships
- Willingness to mentor and develop junior engineers
- Flexibility to travel to client sites when required
- Capability to work under tight deadlines while achieving objectives with the ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately
- Experience of undertaking design related activities for National Grid or DNO’s
- Holder of National Grid Authorisations TP141 Protection and Control and / or Relay Settings
- Proven technical experience in concept to detailed power system protection design and application
- Calculation of relay settings, fault calculations, protection coordination and preparation of logic files.
- Experience in Busbar, Feeder, Transformer, Reactor, Circuit Breaker fail, DAR protections and SCADA interface is essential, HVDC protection systems is desirable.
- Experience of computer-based power system studies packages e.g. DigSilent, Eracs, PSSE is an advantage.
- Experience in protection application at transmission voltage levels up to 400 kV, gained within a utility, consultancy or contractors environment
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles