Senior Engineer - Rolling Stock
Senior Engineer - Rolling Stock
With offices throughout the UK, SNC-Lavalin has an extensive history of supporting clients in the UK and overseas. With over 50,000 employees globally and a turnover of £5bn, following the acquisition of WS Atkins in July 2017, we are now in the top 3 of largest Engineering firms in the world.
We are looking for engineers that have enthusiasm for complex multidisciplinary rail projects, enjoy problem solving and finding solutions that meet the requirements of multiple stakeholders. If you are a technical specialist in any part of the railway industry and have a general understand of how the railway works as a system then you are the type of person we want to join our Rail Systems team.
You will be an integral member of an established and fast growing Rail Systems team that works across the UK and international rail sector delivering multidisciplinary railway projects.
You will work on varied rail systems including high speed, intercity, urban, metro and light rail across all stages of the project lifecycle.
You will be part of an experienced team of systems and railway engineers which will provide you with the support to develop new skills and technical competencies.
The Senior Consultant in the Rail Systems team is responsible for bidding, managing and delivering multidisciplinary railway projects across the full lifecycle of a project.
You will have the following responsibilities:
- Work with the wider team to determine:
i) the technical methodology for projects that meet client’s requirements and budgets effectively; and
ii) the most appropriate project outputs - technical solutions informed by recommendations with a sound evidence base.
- Lead technical analysis relating to railway engineering and operations, which requires balancing requirements to determine the best solutions and establishing consensus in internal and external project meetings with clients; and
- Agree and then lead technical service areas within the Rail Systems team, which could include: feasibility studies, capturing railway system requirements, developing specifications, design and whole system integration.
- Management and team working
- Lead and manage project teams to deliver the required project outputs for clients, including working with and managing external stakeholders;
- Be responsible for the quality of any documents, analysis and reports sent to clients; and
- Coach and mentor more junior colleagues.
- This role would be ideal for an experienced and enthusiastic engineer who is working in the railway industry delivering or operating complex rail systems.
Essential / Desirable Skills and Experience
- Chartered Engineer with a degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent; or more than significant related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience in relevant industry roles. with experience in one or more relevant areas of industry activity – rolling stock procurement; rolling stock fleet management; fleet introduction; alternative energy systems; light rail; project tendering; train operations.
- Broad knowledge of railway systems and experience of leading railway projects
- Experience in technical feasibility, requirements specifications or technical integration between rolling stock and infrastructure systems.
- Awareness of Rail Systems processes and the use of requirements management tools.
- Willingness to travel if required.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-Transportation #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
With offices throughout the UK, SNC-Lavalin has an extensive history of supporting clients in the UK and overseas. With over 50,000 employees globally and a turnover of £5bn, following the acquisition
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs