Senior Environmental Consultant
Senior Environmental Consultant
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the environment . We have a strong Equality, Diversity and Inclusion ethos. The Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology Practice (CLAH) is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team; notably with staff winning various awards over the past years. Atkins’ CLAH practice uses the full range of their skills, working on land contamination, engineering hydrogeology and water resources projects as well as providing innovative solutions to engineering challenges. Our client and project base are highly diverse with current projects in the nuclear new build, oil and gas, regeneration and redevelopment and major road and rail sectors. We work on projects in the UK and around the world.
Atkins’ Infrastructure business are looking to appoint an Environmental Consultant specialising in Contaminated Land and Brownfield development to join our growing team, with this position based from our London, Epsom or Cambridge offices.
The Infrastructure business provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of development and infrastructure projects. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery, we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects; current projects include East West Rail, Sizewell, Crossrail, eight2o, Humber Gateway, and HS2. Our client and project base in the south east is highly diverse working with public and private sector clients on projects in the nuclear new build sector, oil and gas sector, regeneration and redevelopment of brownfield land, and major road, rail and aviation infrastructure projects. In addition, we work with a number of private developers and on national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients managing land contamination liabilities on complex and challenging Brownfield sites. We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary working environment and bring exciting opportunities to influence a project from beginning to end.
We are currently looking to appoint a confident individual who,
- is confident working in a team and independently;
- capable of organisation and management of contaminated land site investigations and qualitative / quantitative risk assessment;
- is looking to further develop their project management skills, including responsibility for technical delivery, management of finances, client liaison and programme delivery on increasingly complex and/or multi-disciplinary projects; and
- combines excellent organisational, technical, numerical and communication skills to demonstrate logical thinking and concise reporting.
- Project management of a wide variety of projects ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to high technical standards.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Preparation of proposals and input into bids for multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Managing small project teams and directing site staff (from the office).
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Degree qualified in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred, but not essential.
- Chartered Membership of relevant professional body (if not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered within 12 months after joining).
- A minimum of 6 years relevant post-graduate experience (ideally within a consultancy environment) able to demonstrate a good understanding of land contamination/brownfield land issues, and experience in undertaking Phase 1 Desk Studies and Phase 2 Site Investigations.
- Experience of technical report writing and ability to complete technical reports (under guidance, as required) to an acceptable technical quality.
- Experience of project management and development of bids.
- Knowledge and understanding of conceptual site models and the qualitative/semi-quantitative risk assessment process for controlled waters, human health and property receptors.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
- Human health and/or controlled waters risk assessment background.
- Knowledge and understanding of detailed quantitative risk assessments, and/or remediation design and verification.
- Knowledge and experience of NEC3 contracts.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to conventional full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you perform to the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving Chartership via relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package .
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Environment & geoscience
Atkins’ Infrastructure business are looking to appoint an Environmental Consultant specialising in Contaminated Land and Brownfield development to join our growing team, with this position based from
Environment & geoscience
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a j
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs