Senior / Intermediate / Junior Field Technicians
SNC-Lavalin GEM Ontario Inc. specializes in materials engineering (soil, concrete, shotcrete and asphalt), geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering as well as pavement engineering. We currently employ 90 professionals, technicians and support staff combined between our Vaughan (GTA) and Kingston locations.
We are currently providing engineering services for several major municipal, provincial and transit projects in GTA including Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit, and seeking Senior / Intermediate and Junior Field Technicians join the team in the Vaughan office.
This role would be to support the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, which is a 19km light rail transit (LRT) line being constructed from Kennedy Station to Weston Road in Toronto, Canada.
- Inspect the quality of construction and construction materials (soils, aggregates, concrete, shotcrete, asphalt, sealant and membrane)
- Monitor placement of various construction materials and workmanship
- Review contract drawings and specifications
- Report any non-conformance concerns to the management.
- Execute quality control tests in the field on construction materials.
- Prepare and collect samples for laboratory testing.
- Perform compaction testing by Nuclear Densometer.
- Test plastic concrete on site and cast samples for compressive testing.
- Test shotcrete for tunneling on site and cast specimens for flexural testing
- Asphalt & concrete coring for thickness and material composition investigations.
- Ensure accuracy of test data.
- Perform visual inspections of roadways, utilities.
- Bridge deck waterproofing inspections.
- Soils inspections & proof rolling.
- Write quality control inspection and test reports
- Liaison with clients and contractors and participate at site meetings.
- Educate and train new staff.
- Maintain testing equipment in good condition.
- Maintain calibration of equipment.
Skills and Qualifications:
- College diploma in Civil Engineering (an asset).
- Min. 1-5 years of pertinent experience.
- CCIL/CSA Certification for Asphalt or Concrete is an asset (candidates will be given first considerations).
- Knowledge of ASTM/CSA/MTO LS test procedures
- General knowledge of soil classification
- Valid driver’s license and owner of a vehicle which may be used to travel to and from site.
- Interested in teamwork, autonomous, and organized.
- Mobility to work out of town when needed.
- Available to work on different shifts and schedules.
- Available to work on weekends on short notice.
- Attention to detail and problem solving.
- Ability to adapt to changing work conditions and schedules on short notice.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies http://www.snclavalin.com/
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.