Senior Legal Counsel - Nuclear
Senior Legal Counsel Job Opportunity
Company Name: SNC-Lavalin / Candu Energy Inc.
Company Location CA. ON. Mississauga. 2285 Speakman Drive
Candu Energy Inc. (Candu) is a leading full-service nuclear technology company providing nuclear power reactors and nuclear products and services to customers worldwide. Having acquired the commercial nuclear reactor business of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Candu is one of Canada’s leading technology companies. Our highly skilled employees design and deliver state-of-the-art CANDU® reactors, carry out nuclear reactor life extension projects, provide plant life management programs and tools, and offer operation and maintenance services for existing nuclear power stations.
With dual reporting to the Senior Vice President of Legal Services for SNC-Lavalin’s Nuclear Sector, as well as to its Vice-President of Legal Services, Ontario, the successful candidate will support key contract negotiations, including for new nuclear reactors and reactor refurbishments, and will be responsible for handling a variety of complex legal issues including matters relating to intellectual property rights and employment and labour law. The candidate will also provide counsel on matters related to regulatory compliance, risk management, claims management and governance.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Negotiate and draft major contracts and other legal documents, including joint venture and other partnership agreements
- Provide organization-wide legal advice, including on regulatory compliance, intellectual property, litigation and employment matters.
- Work collaboratively with management, commercial and technical personnel as well as with other corporate departments to minimize and manage risks
- Work as part of the SNC-Lavalin’s Global Nuclear Sector legal team.
- Based at Candu’s head office at 2285 Speakman Drive, Mississauga, Ontario, with the possibility of spending some limited time at 195 The West Mall, Toronto.
- Between 7 - 15 years of related commercial law experience in the Engineering and Construction field, including experience with joint ventures and other partnerships
- Completion of a law degree and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada or other equivalent Provincial or State Bar
- Nuclear and/or Energy industry experience an asset
- Knowledge of intellectual property law an asset
- Proven track record of managing large, complex contracts ($100 million +)
- Ability to work on a broad range of legal topics on a global basis, manage multiple files and to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong, well developed legal and business analytical skills
- High level of independence, with the ability to work under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Results-oriented and client-focused with a commitment to excellence
- Superior analytical, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships with a dynamic, professional team
Candu offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. We are looking for innovative, forward-thinking people who enjoy challenge.
Please submit your resume by or before October 4, 2019 to be considered for this position.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies http://www.snclavalin.com/
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.