Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Atkins’ Building Design Practice is looking for an experienced, motivated Senior Mechanical Design Engineer who is keen to develop their career in a positive environment and join our Building Services team where talent is encouraged and growth opportunities unrivalled. This role will be based in London, but presents the opportunity to join a national delivery team and work with designers all across the UK and internationally through our Global Design Centre.
This opportunity will involve working as part of a national practice of Building Design professionals delivering engineering design solutions to clients across a wide variety of projects. The Building Design practice works on projects across all of our focus markets, including Aviation, Cities & Development, Education, Energy and Transportation.
The opportunity will require candidates to be client-facing as well as being involved in the day to day design and management of projects. It is an exciting opportunity for an experienced design engineer to further develop their career within a leading building design consultancy.
Our focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities. This role will allow development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand digital skills and project management
The role will be based in London.
• Ensuring an understanding of project briefs
• Design and specification of all Mechanical Building Services equipment - heating, cooling, ventilation, controls, etc.
• Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards;
• Carry out (& managing of others), in the production of detailed calculations using industry standard digital tools inc. Excel, IES, Hevacomp, in-house developed tools, etc.
• Preparing technical specifications using NBS
• Work in partnership with Atkins international Global Design Centre (GDC) to add value to building services projects where appropriate
• Preparing drawings for drafting by the CAD team a working understanding / use of Autodesk (& Revit)
• Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors
• Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works
• Report & technical note writing
• Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards
• Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes
• Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly & working to time allocations
• Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings
• Reviewing progress, inc. reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the line manager
• Help & assist with technical development of junior staff
• Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering or related subjects
• Chartered Engineer with CIBSE / IMechE
• Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools inc.; IES thermal modelling package, Hevacomp, NBS and Microsoft packages
• Experience working in a design consultancy and/or experience of working within a contractor design environment is essential
• Have a detailed knowledge of appropriate technical standards
• Able to take charge of project deliverables, make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
• Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with client is essential
Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time in order to maintain flexibility in the organization. We support agile & flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.