Senior / Principal / Associate Economist / Economic Planner
Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. We are currently looking to strengthen and broaden our economics advisory team, which works closely with colleagues in Infrastructure and across the firm. We have a range of superb opportunities open across the country.
The team, based in London, Birmingham, Epsom, Bristol, Warrington and Leeds, works directly with Atkins’ wide multi-disciplinary teams in the UK and across the world on a variety of major infrastructure and economic development projects. The team is one of the UK’s leading consultancies, at the forefront of thought-leadership in the field of economics and international development. It has influenced government thinking on infrastructure delivery and provides economic and strategic planning advice in the UK to central government and its agencies, local enterprise partnerships, local authorities, combined authorities and the private sector. We also work with colleagues leading international development work with international financing institutions and government bodies.
We are currently providing economic and strategic planning support on major UK projects including HS2, Crossrail, West London Orbital, local economic development plans, local industrial strategies and assessing the feasibility of job creation schemes and projects. We are also working internationally on the Oman Spatial Strategy, Sustainable Urban Economic Plans for Kenya (DFID) and opportunities coming through the FCO Prosperity Fund Global Framework.
To find out about our recent varied and interesting planning projects please see our Planning and Consenting for National Significant Infrastructure Projects brochures.
We are currently looking for a Senior or Principal Economist / Economic Planner to join our successful and progressive team of economists and planners which is strongly integrated with our transport, engineering, design and environmental businesses. We operate flexibly across the UK so the successful candidate could be based in any of our Hub offices, located in Birmingham, London, Epsom, Bristol, Warrington or Leeds. Atkins recognizes the importance and benefits of helping its employees balance their work and home life and offers flexible working arrangements, they would also be able to work from home at least one day per week.
We look forward to exceptional candidates joining our leading economic development team with opportunities to work with colleagues providing major international development work around the world.
- Undertake research, analysis and report writing in relation to feasibility studies, economic development strategies and evidence base studies (e.g. local industrial strategies, infrastructure assessments, cost-benefit analysis of capital projects etc.)
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities in a range of sectors including leading or supporting on tender responses
- Develop client network and collaborate with colleagues across SNC-Lavalin Atkins to win work
- Manage project inputs from a range of disciplines working across the firm. Support the provision of economics and economic planning advice to external and internal clients
- Develop and maintain relationships across the organisation to ensure we position ourselves well within the market, assemble technically excellent project teams and deliver high quality quantitative analysis and written work
- Management, including financial management, of projects (subject to experience)
- Provide mentoring to junior staff to help the team develop its national capabilities.
The position requires a professional with a degree in Economics, Mathematics, Psychology, Economic Development, Urban Regeneration or relevant discipline, and at least 5 years of relevant experience (preferably in a consulting environment).
The ideal candidate will have technical skills and experience in the areas of:
- Strategic and Outline Business Case development
- Assessing feasibility and cost-benefit appraisal
- Socio-economic impact assessment and research
- Client communication, reporting and stakeholder consultation
- Infrastructure delivery studies
- Funding assessment and applications (e.g. Community Infrastructure Levy or LEP or Lottery Funds)
- Local, regional and national policy and strategy development within the UK or internationally.
- Experience of social value and inclusive growth is also useful
- High level financial modelling skills would also be beneficial.
Expertise in the following areas is also sought:
- Good people skills and EQ
- Project management skills - ability to deliver projects on time and to budget consistently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and excellent presentation skills
- Excellent numeracy and analytical skills including spreadsheet and other software skills
- Knowledge of sourcing and translating economic statistics, data analysis and distilling clear implications
- Commercial interest and awareness to help manage projects well and win work and deliver the reports
- Self-motivated and keen to keep developing professionally.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles