Senior / Principal Electrical Engineer
Senior / Principal Electrical Engineer
Atkins Electrical Networks business are seeking an Electrical Engineer who thrives on teamwork and wants to deliver for our clients, for our business and for yourself.
We are looking for someone who has experience of working in the distribution network operator sector, enjoys a variety of work solving and delivering engineering solutions to our clients and who has a desire to work in the energy sector.
These roles offer significant opportunity for personal development and the opportunity to get involved in some of the most exciting projects. We are seeking people who are keen to develop to their full potential to the mutual benefit of the individual, the team and the company.
The role will be located in Leeds.
About the Team:
As a well-established business, the focus of Atkins Electrical Networks business is building long term relationships with clients in the power sector, of which we hold a number of long-term framework contracts through which we deliver our clients work. We provide value-added design and engineering services and built solutions across the entire spectrum of electricity networks from HV transmission grids to LV industrial power distribution and controls. Our clients include UK transmission and distribution companies, renewable technology providers and an increasingly key role in delivering the electrical design aspects of major infrastructure projects.
Working across the transmission and distribution and infrastructure sectors, our work typically spans across techno-economic studies, LV, MV, HV and EHV Design and FEED, project management and Regulatory and Advisory, supporting our clients in a constantly changing dynamic market.
What you’ll be doing?
- As an Electrical Engineer, your work will largely involve working on a variety of projects contributing to the technical engineering requirements and supporting the team to build strong relationships with our clients. You will also support the team by contributing to bids.
- You’ll have the ability work well both independently and within the team and will have the desire to broaden your engineering expertise. Typical projects are related to MV-EHV design for utilities and developers, supporting regulators and power systems advisory.
You’ll need to have:
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualifications and experience.
Essential Criteria –
- Experience at Distribution Network level (11-132kV) ideally experience gained within a client organisation, engineering consultancy.
- Knowledge of electrical codes and standards relevant to UK DNOs.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is required.
- Distribution (up to 132kV) electrical plant and configuration design.
- Network planning and project development.
- Power System modelling and analysis.
- Transmission (132kV+) electrical plant and configuration design.
- Experience in preparing Single Line Diagram, Key Line Drawings (SLD, KLD) and Protection drawings.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations / studies / simulations (e.g. fault calculations, relay settings, voltage drop, cable sizing) and prepare system protection requirements design basis.
We are looking for the following personal qualities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to maintaining existing and developing new client relationships.
- Flexibility to travel to client sites when required.
- Capability to work under tight deadlines while achieving objectives with the ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately.
Desirable Criteria –
- Experience of computer-based power system studies packages e.g. DigSilent, ERACS, PSSE is an advantage.
This is an exciting time for us – we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active program of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package. https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities and inclusion in the workforce, as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs