Senior Regulatory Specialist
SNC-Lavalin Inc., Environment & Geoscience (E&G) is accepting resumes for a Senior Regulatory Specialist, based in Calgary for future opportunities to play a key role in growing our business in Western Canada. The ideal candidate will have a consulting background and established relationships with clients and regulatory agencies, along with technical and project management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.
The main purpose of the Senior Regulatory Specialist position includes, but is not limited to, providing senior regulatory and technical support to project managers and clients in support of various projects. In addition, the Senior Regulatory Specialist will provide mentoring to staff and participate in business development initiatives. The role may include a field component including project site visits / inspections, safety audits and liaison with clients and/or regulators.
As a senior member of the team, this individual will be fully accountable for successfully managing and growing a range of clients and projects across the Prairies region.
- Act as a senior regulatory advisor on a variety of projects across the Prairies region
- Assist in the development and growth of environmental assessment and management projects with a focus on energy and resource developments (upstream Oil and Gas, pipeline, transmission infrastructure, mining etc.)
- Support the development of the Impact Assessment & Community Engagement business by developing relationships with existing and future client contacts, attending meetings, and supporting BD initiatives
- Prepare and review of proposals
- Provide practical and economic solutions to clients
- Support and prepare regulatory approval and permitting applications
- Liaise with clients, stakeholders and regulatory agencies to ensure project permitting is advanced
- Support and prepare environmental protection and mitigation plans to facilitate regulatory approvals in concert with discipline specialists (e.g. biologists)
- Prepare and review of technical reports associated with the regulatory approvals or compliance requirements
- Ensure technical quality of work including review of client deliverables (proposals, reports and mapping)
- Provide guidance, training and direction to junior and intermediate staff to ensure the completion of the project scope of work and support development of the group
- Establish and maintain relationships with government and regulatory agencies
- University degree or diploma in biology, environmental science or a related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years of experience focusing on environmental assessment and planning projects
- Previous consulting experience is required
- Recognized ability to work independently and succeed in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of provincial and federal environmental assessment legislation and regulatory process
- Proven knowledge of environmental permit, approval and compliance requirements including Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP), Alberta Energy Regulator (AER), National Energy Board (NEB) and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA)
- Direct experience with EPEA Facility Approval applications, Conservation and Reclamation (C&R) plans, Enhanced Approval Process (EAP) applications, NEB Section 58 Applications, British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission, and Saskatchewan Environmental Assessment Act applications (Technical Proposals and EIS) would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of the Saskatchewan and Manitoba regulatory process would be an considered an asset
- Demonstrable knowledge of environmental mitigation and protection planning measures
- Pipeline planning and permitting experience would be considered an asset
- Computer skills - MS Office
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.