Senior Safety Consultant - WOME
The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division within Atkins/SNC-Lavalin is at the leading edge of Safety Critical Systems Engineering. We provide a range of independent and unbiased advice in Weapon, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (WOME) safety engineering to a wide range of markets and clients. These roles require a diverse range of professionals with an understanding of safety management in the broadest sense.
Our growing team offer a range of engineering, technical and strategic advisory services to a wide breadth of markets and clients. We are seeking a senior consultant with ideally a good understanding of the Defence market to provide guidance and direction in the development of WOME safety management solutions for our clients, including:
• Support to sales;
• Assurance of work undertaken by project teams; and
• Providing a vision of future needs to support the development of capability.
We require individuals who have self-motivation and enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and develop new skills and possess professional characteristics. You will be someone who is looking to make the next step in their career and to join a team that will provide all the opportunities for further progression that come with being part of a growing business.
You will be working with our clients to deliver WOME related projects; other safety related projects, and will have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK and the globe.
Professional in approach and performance, with a proven background in;
• Understanding and application of Joint Service Publication (JSP) 520;
• Development and update of JSP 520 Safety & Environmental Case Reports;
• Understanding of the Ordnance Safety Review Panel (OSRP) process;
• Understanding and application of WOME in the:
Maritime Domain, i.e. Defence Standard 00-101, MAP 00-101, JSP 430, Part 3, Chapter 8; and/or
Air Domain, i.e. Air Launched Weapon Release certification in accordance with MRP RA 1350.
• Understanding and application of DSA02-DLSR-LSSR; DSA02-DMR and/or MRP RAs;
• Experience in the implementation of Safety Management Systems and the interpretation and analysis of results;
• Working Knowledge of Industry and Defence Standards such as Def Stan 00-056.
• Proven track record of developing Safety Management solutions at enterprise, platform or at system level;
• Experienced in developing proposals and providing technical assurance;
• Develop innovative Safety Management solutions to support operations;
• Manage and motivate project teams through strong interpersonal and leadership skills;
• Build sustainable relationships with clients and develop future business opportunities;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills commensurate with the role, including the preparation and presentation of reports to both internal and external clients; and
• Knowledge of the Defence, Aerospace and wider markets, or major contractor’s experience.
• Have an understanding of Defence Standard 07-85 and AOP-15;
• Have an understanding of Explosives Regulations 2014 (Amendment) Regulations 2016;
• Have an understanding of The Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 2015;
• Chartered Engineer or equivalent, or working towards it;
• Knowledge and awareness of their discipline and related disciplines and their developments across varied markets including Defence;
• Expertise in hazard and safety risk management;
• Knowledge, awareness and ability to generate Safety Cases;
• Experienced in development of Safety Management Plans;
• Experience of conducting/supporting safety related assessments such as Ship Explosives Threat Hazard Assessment (SETHA), HAZOP, FMECA, ZHA, FTA & ETA;
• Knowledge and experience of working in wider markets and the ability to sell their related discipline capability to internal and external clients and across varied markets;
• Membership of UK, EU or US societies/working groups, etc.; and
• Production of articles, papers or conference presentations within their discipline.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.