Senior Traffic Controls Systems Engineer
Senior Traffic Controls Systems Engineer
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
The Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST) practice, within the UK Transportation business, is the home of our market leading transport technology and mobility capability. We work across the transport sector helping our clients navigate through a rapidly changing world linking current Intelligent Transport Systems with future-focused technology opportunities. The practice provides consultancy advisory, research, technical and design services to a broad set of UK and international clients in the transport sector, including the Department for Transport, Highways England, Network Rail and UK local authorities. We blend market-leading capability in motorway control systems, toll road systems, urban traffic control and operations and smart ticketing with thinking and advice on emerging trends and growing areas such as digital highways, mobility as a service and Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs).
The IMST practice sits in the Consultancy practice – c 500 staff - within the Atkins Transportation business of c 3000. Currently IMST comprises 90 staff from a range of disciplines facing into several key service lines across our clients, with approximately 20 staff focusing on traffic signals and urban traffic control projects across the UK.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team, to play a leading role in building and executing our plan for the future of transport technology and mobility. You will contribute to our IMST Strategy through technical excellence and high-quality project delivery. It will necessitate ambition, creativity, technical knowledge and excellent project delivery experience in the traffic signals sector. Although anticipated that the role will be carried out from a local office location, it may include undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas and therefore necessitate the need for short term travel. We are seeking to strengthen our Traffic Control Systems team by appointing a Senior engineer to help deliver traffic signals and other associated projects across the sector.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Leading the design and review of traffic signal schemes from inception to operation, including site surveys, detailed design, installation, FAT, SAT and validation
- Liaison with clients with the ability to discuss all aspects of existing and future projects, providing technical advice and solutions
- Project management or taking a project support role on larger projects
- Identification and development of project opportunities, road network improvements and added value in existing projects, promoting innovation and sustainability
- Responsibility for delivering and reviewing high quality technical reports
- Developing commercial knowledge and input into cost models and budgets, including preparation of cost estimates and scopes
- Actively raising project risks and issues
- Carrying out research and analysis, providing well founded conclusions and recommendations
- Contributing to business case and value proposition development
- Assist, guide and develop less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
- The role will involve a mixture of team and individual work, and require the ability to monitor own project work to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
What you can bring
The successful candidate will hold suitable qualifications, and be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the traffic signal technology, applications and design, including the use of CAD
- In depth experience of:
- the design, operation, configuration and validation of traffic signals
- traffic signal controller operation, TR2500 form and/or configuration writing
- FAT and SAT
- Good experience of MOVA design, configuration and validation
- Good experience of UTC/SCOOT design, configuration and validation
- Proven ability to learn new skills and rapidly understand complex technical projects
- Ability to demonstrate good communication skills with a range of stakeholders including presentations and client meetings
- Evidence of supporting good client engagement/contact, including business development
- Able to win client confidence and develop effective client relationships
- Ability to deliver outputs on multiple projects for various clients, whilst leading small project teams
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to develop and demonstrate innovative solutions and processes
- Strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and CDM
- Able to work as part of a team across diverse skill sets building effective networks
- Traffic modelling experience
- Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
- Familiar with a wide range of ITS technologies, including UTMC, journey time measurement, VMS, CCTV, RTPI
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs