Site HSE Manager
SNC-Lavalin, Power Grid & Industrial Solutions, is currently searching for a Project HSE Manager for a project near Calabogie, ON, CAN. The position reports to the Director HSE PGIS offsite and the Project Manager onsite and will perform a strategic and hands-on role by providing guidance and technical support to operations as it relates to Health, Safety and Environment and is responsible for Managing site specific requirements of the Health, Safety & Environmental Management Program, in accordance with local and international legislation.
- Operating and maintaining the SLI GHSE management system complete with associated functions, documentation and committees. Keeping up to date all related policies and procedures.
- Assist supervision with Job Hazard Analysis and StepBack Job Hazard Analysis process.
- Monitor and oversee implementation of appropriate safety protocols at the job-site, including proper utilization of safety equipment by personnel and Contractor, Contractor adherence to established safety protocols, medical monitoring and fit tests for respiratory protection program, safeguards for chemical product use, and light duty restrictions for personnel.
- Participate and/or lead site safety inspections on a weekly basis, including but not limited to visual inspection of first aid kits, fire extinguishers, guardrails, handrails and barriers and sharing information with job-site supervisors, Project Management and contractors as appropriate.
- Ensure new hire safety orientations and support job-site drug and alcohol testing for new personnel.
- Develop and conduct site-specific safety training for job-site personnel as required.
- Conduct and/or attend, as assigned, safety-related meetings, including weekly safety meetings, Contractor pre-mobilization meetings, project safety committee, and weekly foreman/superintendent coordination meetings.
- Support the Project Manager with the implementation of the HSE aspects of the Integrated Management Systems based on ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 Standards.
- Monitor upcoming construction tasks and phases and assist job-site supervision in developing and monitoring safety protocols.
- Review Contractors site-specific safety plans, recommend or require changes as needed.
- Interface with contractor’s construction and safety management.
- Support the Project Manager in the tracking of job-site safety trends and leading risk indicators, communicate trend information with job-site supervision and make corrective actions as necessary.
- Generate and maintain safety related documents and records for the job-site including copies of Contractor safety programs and forms, safety meeting minutes, logs of first aid certifications, respiratory protection medical evaluations and fit tests, the SDS files, and similar records.
- Ensure that all heavy equipment operators (i.e. cranes, loaders, forklifts, etc.) are properly qualified and trained on the specific piece of equipment in use.
- Investigate accidents and near-misses involving injury or property damage and complete the appropriate paperwork and notifications for the Project Manager of events and results. Implement corrective actions to reduce the likelihood of reoccurrence.
- Ensure coordination of workers compensation claims.
- Support Safety Incentive Programs.
- Mentor, lead and direct Safety Coordinators.
- Ensure handrails, barriers, guardrails, and grating are maintained.
- Utilize a variety of test equipment to measure compliance to stated HSE standards
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
- Strong knowledge of construction-related means and methods, including the ability to comprehend job-site construction tasks and to plan for the application of safety procedures and protocols to those tasks
- Ability and willingness to learn SLI’s safety policies and procedures, Provincial regulations and the ability to apply that knowledge to the work environment
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience managing safety programs on large construction projects of similar scope and complexity
- Knowledge and practical experience in Fall Protection, Confined Space Entry, Trenching & Excavations, Scaffolding, and Rigging
- Knowledge and practical experience with HSE risk analysis methods (HAZID/HAZAN, JHA, Field-level risk assessments)
We offer an opportunity to work on varied and interesting projects in Canada and around the world. Salary will be commensurate with your experience. While we sincerely thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.