Role and Team
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join our Oil & Gas Software Development Team in Aberdeen as a Software Developer. Our team works closely with our clients to develop high-quality software solutions that add real value to their operations. By combining high-end technical knowledge with modern software development, the team provides its clients with the tools needed to efficiently and reliably solve many of the Oil & Gas industry’s technical challenges, across a wide range of disciplines.
As a software developer, you will:
• become an integral part of a growing team, collaborating with your colleagues to develop, deliver and support a variety of innovative software solutions that meet clients’ requirements within time and budget constraints;
• get involved in the full software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering, design and implementation, through to testing, deployment, maintenance and support. We use a lean and agile methodology, giving you the opportunity to grow into a well-rounded developer and allowing you to have an impact on every stage of a project;
• deliver bespoke software applications using a range of modern technologies and platforms, from desktop applications and services to web and cloud solutions and Microsoft Office automation. The team will help you continuously improve your programming skills, learn new things and keep up to date with the latest developments in the industry;
• solve logical and algorithmic problems, review them with the wider team and implement these solutions into working software features;
• learn and adhere to our software engineering standards, procedures and best practices and provide suggestions for continuous improvements;
• build and configure test environments and carry out unit and factory acceptance tests for our developed applications;
• produce relevant user documentation and deployment guides;
• provide support to our clients, both external and internal, for our growing portfolio of software products;
• help deploy software applications and systems and provide training to end users when required;
• be part of an excellent working environment, collaborating with technical experts across various domains and disciplines to produce software of the highest quality standards.
Our technology stack is mostly Microsoft-based: we develop software using the .NET Framework and Visual Studio, in both C# and VB.NET.
We use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and legacy WinForms for our desktop apps, ASP.NET and Angular for web development, SQL Server and Azure for data, but these can change as the technologies evolve.
You will also get to develop clever macros using VBA to help our engineering teams become more efficient and save time through automation.
Key Skills and Requirements
To succeed in this role, you should be able to demonstrate you have the following:• Relevant work experience in software development, preferably using .NET (C# / VB.NET).
• Understanding of software development principles and strong commitment to delivering to high quality standards, constantly looking for innovation and improvements, whilst future-proofing your work;
• Technically minded with strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills. A passion for solving difficult challenges and persistence are desirable;
• Able to work in an agile environment, adapting to various domains and coping with uncertainty and changing requirements;
• Ability to work in a team, across a variety of projects and technologies and to prioritise workload, ensuring that the quality and timeliness of deliverables is met;
• Creativity and strong communication skills for both business and technical audiences;
• A practical mind and that you’re self-motivated, hard-working and reliable;If you join our team, you will be working on intelligent and useful software to support some of the most challenging engineering projects, helping shape the future of energy.
You will get involved in the full software development lifecycle, solving exciting challenges and growing into a high-quality software engineer.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles