Sr. Engineer - Toll Facility Design
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join Atkins in Orlando, FL as a Sr. Engineer Toll Facility Design supporting the Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) General Engineering Consultant (GEC) Program, working as an “extension of staff” in the client’s office in Ocoee, FL (metro Orlando area). This position will provide career growth opportunities through the design of FTE toll road and express/managed lanes toll road infrastructure projects.
The ideal candidate will have a broad tolling and/or ITS technology background, with experience in limited access roadway and/or tolling facility projects. Willingness to be a team player is a must.
Relocation assistance is available.
Serves as GEC Toll Facility Design Specialist for the client’s Tolls Design Group and will provide technical engineering and design support for tolling projects, including but not limited to the design and development of tolling concepts and alternatives.
Reviews toll site/facility plan submittals and associated shop drawings and can coordinate with multiple disciplines, such as, Signing and Pavement Marking, Structures, Roadway, ITS, Construction and Operations.
Supports the Turnpike Toll Site Design Administrator and Turnpike Design Engineer and works closely with the Turnpike Toll Operations Department.
- Reviews Toll Facility plan submittals, to include civil site, architectural, and electrical plan submittals, to meet FDOT General Tolling Requirements (GTR) and project requirements. Plans, specifications and calculations will be reviewed to assure GTR criteria is followed.
- Provides post-design construction support including review of plans revisions, responses to contractor’s request for information, and shop drawings.
- Prepares project scopes of work, staff hour estimates and supports the conduct of contract negotiations for tolling related project components.
- Collaborates with both the Turnpike client and other consultants to create, review, and publish updates to the GTR document, used statewide for all Turnpike and FDOT District tolling projects.
- Serves as an extension of client staff, working daily with the agency’s offices.
- Performs occasional field work to collect site specific data as projects require.
- Assists client with evaluation of consultant performance.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or related technical field.
- Requires minimum of seven (7) years relevant engineering experience in since Bachelor’s degree; or six (6) years since Masters.
- Typical incumbent will have 10 - 14 years of experience.
- Relevant work experience would provide exposure to general civil/site or roadway engineering, toll infrastructure, toll operations, information and communication technologies, and/or intelligent transportation systems (ITS), including fiber-optic communication design, video systems, computer hardware & software, toll collection systems and sub-systems, electronic payment, or traffic management.
- Experience with toll facility/limited access projects is a plus.
- General Engineering Consultant (GEC) experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of FDOT plans production process and experience with FDOT Electronic Review Comment (ERC) system. Knowledge of FTE General Tolling Requirements (GTR) is a plus.
- Strong written, oral and listening communication skills in English; good public speaking ability.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills; organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft personal computer applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project; working knowledge of SharePoint and other project management / production support systems.
- Professional Engineer Registration in the State of Florida is required within one (1) year of assuming this position.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles