Sr. Rail Construction Manager
Sr. Rail Construction Manager
Sr. Rail Construction Manager
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Rail Construction Resident Engineer will be based out of our office in Oakland, California and reports to our Senior Construction Manager. The Rail Construction Resident Engineer provides technical expertise to the direction of the firm's construction services program activities at one or various project sites. Responsible for the administration and observation of construction activities to determine if the quality of the work performed by the contractor meets clients' needs and governmental requirements, and conforms substantially with plans and specifications. Represents the firm to the construction project group and has ultimate responsibility for the firm's performance on the project.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Serves as Owners Representative and is responsible to administer and monitor the Contract until final project closeout is complete;
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert and routinely interact with numerous outside Agencies and internal departments including, but not limited to, the Office of the General Counsel, the Procurement Department, the Office of Civil Rights, and the Office of External Affairs;
- Directly responsible for overall construction project management to include, construction permitting, utilities, traffic, planning, organizing, monitoring and directing of all construction work activities and resources necessary to complete project within budget, scope, schedule, and quality requirements;
- Provides contract coordination between other contracts working within the same transit Operating System;
- Reviews and responds to Contractor’s submittals, Requests for Information (RFI)s, and letters, and maintains project files with the utilization of client’s WongCMS;
- Reviews Contractor submittals for adequacy and accuracy in accordance with the Contract Documents;
- Strictly follows CM’s QA Checklist to monitor the project in progress and prepare progress reports;
- Schedules and conducts weekly progress meetings and prepares meeting summaries;
- Prepares written documents (i.e. correspondence, proposals, reports, performance evaluations and other construction documents);
- Manages and provides technical support to field issues;
- Initiates and evaluates design and field engineering changes during construction;
- Evaluates Contractor’s suggestions for minor changes to contract requirements;
- Reviews Notice of Potential Claims (NOPCs), provides recommendations, and resolves disputes with the Contractor, through the Change Notice/Change Order process if necessary;
- Reviews and processes Change Notices and Change Orders by preparing engineering designs, specifications, costs, independent quantity estimates, and tracking contingency balances associated with necessary changes to the Contract Documents;
- Negotiates protested Change Notices with Contractor for further processing of Change Order;
- Implements and ensures a clients approved quality Assurance Program is successfully executed;
- Plans and organizes the administration and coordination of inspections and inspects and reviews project to monitor compliance with the Contract Documents including building and safety codes, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) requirements, environmental documents and other regulations;
- Reviews material testing data;
- Makes field measurements of completed items of work;
- Inspects construction at substantial and final completion states;
- Tracks construction progress, activities, and use of approved materials and equipment for verification of Contractor’s Payment Applications;
- Reviews Contractor’s progress schedules and documents construction progress through daily reports, project reporting, and project scheduling;
- Reviews and processes monthly progress payments;
- Is responsible for reporting project cost and quality control activities to client;
- Directs subordinate internal staff involved in the observation, testing and sampling of construction materials, observation of construction work, and documentation of plan revisions and work progress;
- Manages, prepares and approves daily supervision and inspection reports;
- Assures M&E receives as-builts and O&M Manuals three (3) months prior to Final acceptance of work;
- Ensures Contractor’s personnel obtains the appropriate owner ID, security badges, and RWP-40 hour training if required;
- Coordinates Contractor’s access to site with the appropriate stakeholders;
- Provides financial management of construction office operations, monitoring costs and expenses, approving and dispersing funds, and coordinating accounting and cost allocation;
- Coordinates construction monitoring with client program manager to resolve problems, disputes and scheduling of work;
- Other tasks as directed by the client and /or supervisor.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent. Ten years experience with Bachelor's in a combination of engineering design and construction/construction observation activities, including management and supervision of field personnel. Twenty years experience without degree.
- Professional Engineer (PE) Registration or Certified Construction Manager (CCM) Registration required.
- Strong skills in leadership, organization, management, and oral & written communications.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs