Structural Engineer (All Levels) - Oil & Gas
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Our successful Oil & Gas business is looking to recruit structural engineers for our Aberdeen office. Within the oil and gas division, our services are focused on upstream operations engineering i.e. maintain safe and efficient operations for operators, and offshore engineering encompassing fixed, floating and subsea facilities. Having worked on 1,000 oil and gas installations around the world, we are now the operators’ ‘go to’ company for difficult challenges in engineering, operations, life extension and ultimately decommissioning which is expected to be a growing market.
Additionally, we operate selectively in the onshore mid-stream and downstream markets. We have some 800 experts located in our operations in UK, Houston, Calgary, Trinidad, Denmark, UAE, Singapore and Australia. Our structural Oil & Gas team works on some of the most exciting and varied projects in onshore and offshore Oil and Gas sector, including front end design, consultancy studies, integrity management of topsides and subsea structures of fixed and floating assets, and decommissioning.
This opportunity is to provide day to day operational support to our client’s assets including live support and offshore enactment. Atkins are looking to fill multiple roles with a range of experienced hires, from Graduate through to Principal level.
As a Structural Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- The delivery of structural projects for all types of assets for key North Sea clients for all types of offshore structures including fixed, floating and subsea structures.
- You will be working as part of an integrated team covering client interaction and delivery from multiple locations. This will include everything from hand calculations, written reports to linear and non-linear analysis work.
- Development of brownfield modification, design and integrity strategies and schemes.
- Working with others to identify and develop new technical methodologies.
- Contributing to and executing our structural business strategy, including supporting growth initiatives domestically and overseas. Work with others to develop an integrated asset integrity management strategy.
- Building and maintaining client relationships, with a view to winning more work. Contributing to successful proposals and tenders.
- Developing your capabilities in line with the requirements of the Atkins career paths.
- Day to day operational support to client engineers including representing the company at meetings, production of deliverables and presentations.
- Liaison and interacting with other disciplines such as corrosion and materials, process engineering and subsea engineering for the delivery of day to day tasks.
- A detailed understanding and compliance with relevant codes and standards.
Suitable candidates will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Proven success in structural projects against external and internal time, cost and quality objectives. Experience in participating in appropriate project governance and project management reporting.
- Experience of partaking in elements of bids and engaging directly with clients.
- Ability to report, interpret and communicate the engineering implications of complex analysis results to colleagues and clients, including the implications of problems encountered in the delivery of work.
- Ability to support winning work from new and existing clients, through clear and professional communications.
- Excellent report writing skills and experience in the delivery of technical presentations to external clients.
- Background in offshore structural integrity service delivery is advantageous
- Understanding of structural engineering first principals, this is a technical role.
- Management, assessment and analysis of designs, modifications and anomalies.
- An engineering degree, honours or equivalent in civil, mechanical, structural, naval architecture or similar.
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control.
- Offshore structural analysis experience of jackets, floating and subsea systems – particularly using SESAM software – is preferred.
- Technical understanding of environmental wave loading and/or vessel motions is preferred.
- Linear and non-linear FEA experience in ABAQUS and USFOS and other comparable software packages is preferred.
- Chartered status, or working towards Chartered status, with a recognised engineering institution is considered advantageous.
- Candidates should also possess the following personal skills/qualities:
- Self-motivated, positive, enthusiastic, reliable, consistent and mature approach to work – appropriate to delivering growth in the face of challenging market conditions.
- Willingness to develop a wide range of skills and flexibility to work on a variety of projects.
- Ability to lead small teams, provide line management capability, and an interest in developing junior staff, where applicable to the role.
- Ability to cope with a rapidly changing environment and challenging problems.
- Willingness to engage with and build relationships; anticipate, interpret and deliver client requirements, thereby wining work from new and existing clients.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work with other teams to develop cross-discipline capabilities.
- A co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and clients.
Travel to other company sites may be necessary.
Offshore trips are potentially a part of the role depending on specific client requirements.
At Atkins we support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers. Developing your capability is key to our success, and that is why we place such an importance on it.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.