TransitNEXT is a wholly-owned subsidiary of SNC-Lavalin. SNC-Lavalin is pleased to announce that TransitNEXT, has reached financial close on the Trillium Line Extension project. As the sole proponent in the TransitNEXT team, SNC-Lavalin will design, build, finance and maintain the new extension, and will also assume responsibility for the long-term maintenance of the existing Trillium Line.
Join TransitNEXT and become part of The Trillium Line Extension project, expanding and enhancing transit services in Ottawa.
The Survey Assistant performs survey work as part of a field survey crew including assisting surveyor with setup survey instrument, measuring in the field and maintaining equipment and cleaning up work site and vehicles.
During field work, the Survey Assistant will:
- Regulate work to ensure all site safety standards, acceptable practices, & guidelines are adhered to.
- Communicate any safety issues, regardless of the severity to Survey Party Chief.
- Communicate data collection issues to Survey Party Chief.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Walk job down with Survey Crew and Survey Requestor.
- Assist Surveyor in Operations of various survey-engineering instruments devices to measure distances and collect data; makes cross section, profile, location, topographic and construction layout surveys.
- Assist in establishes lines, critical points and angles; digs ground using a shovel and other hand tools to search for and locate survey monuments and points. Sets, Cleans, and Paints all points used for survey purposes.
- Frequently walk up and down steep slopes of ditches or on rough and uneven surfaces or ground such as sloping terrain, plowed or furrowed areas or construction sites; stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying of items up to 20 pounds and occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Ascending/descending multiple flights of stairs, climbing in area that requires the use of fall protection.
- Maintain field notes regarding backsite and foresight heights for each setup.
- Obtain permits and safety equipment as required.
After field work, the Survey Assistant will :
- Clean work site up of all materials and equipment.
- Assist with completing Survey File.
- Organize all materials and equipment. Restock vehicle with supplies as required.
- Clean work vehicle including emptying trash from work vehicle and taking vehicle to be washed and vacuumed.
- Refueling vehicles as required to not interfere with field work.
- Sort, file and handle documents, books, files, file drawers and related materials and equipment required for clerical operations.
- Review and sign-off on survey files.
- Scan survey files as directed.
- Test tribrachs, rod bubbles, rods, mirrors, mini prism and other tools to verify calibration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and organizational skills
- Knowledge of engineering design and survey methods
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Available to travel to various projects
- Driver’s license (Class G)
Experience in Construction surveying industry would be considered an asset
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.