This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Technology today is evolving at an ever increasing rate, but that is nothing compared to the pace of its adoption and impact on society and the physical and digital world.
SNC-Lavalin Group Member (Atkins) believe that understanding the complex systems, and emergent behaviour that results from the interaction of technology and people, is vital to solving tomorrow’s problems.
Who we are
SNC Lavalin (Atkins) is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
Our Company is growing, and due to the increasing realisation by our clients of the need to understand and manage their complex business and the technology environment, the demand for System Thinkers and Engineers is growing.
We offer significant opportunity for our people to develop, and a supportive, flexible and engaging work environment through adherence to our Company’s values of safety, integrity, collaboration and innovation.
Our client base is large and varied and our work is stimulating, challenging and rewarding. Atkins, is a member of the Aurora Engineering Partnership which, subject to contract, will support the Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) transformation strategy as the Engineering Delivery Partner. We are mobilising to support this contract which is one of the largest and most transformative technical services contracts which DE&S has let. We will advise, support and deliver engineering throughout the next decade, across maritime, air, land and information environments and at all points in the lifecycle, from discovery through to implementation.
What you will work on
The Systems Discipline team provides engineering support to a large portfolio of programmes and projects across energy, transport, aerospace and security sectors so you can expect to be involved in a diverse range of roles throughout your career with us. We want to offer a supportive, flexible and engaging work environment alongside significant opportunity for our people to develop. Our top corporate value is ‘Outstanding People’ and we want to encourage, develop and support our people in all that they do.
What we are after
We aim to attract applications from a diverse group of people who:
- Share our Values – Safety, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation
- Are intrinsically motivated by engineering challenges
- Want to use the latest methods and tools and deliver solutions in a better way
- Want to collaborate with those in other disciplines and with partners and clients
- Can act as trusted advisors, leaders and team members
- Are flexible to adapt to new environments, ways of working and roles
- Want to develop continually as professionals
- Are dedicated to delivering high quality output
Where you will work
You will be based in our offices in Bristol. The nature of the work that Atkins undertakes may mean that at times you have to work at client sites away from your home location.
As a proud supporter of the Armed Forces, Atkins’ Employees are supported to participate with one of a number of reserve forces and will receive up to an additional 10 days paid leave to maintain their annual training commitment.
Atkins aims to be supportive and flexible in our approach to assigning particular roles, balancing business and personal needs. You may work on a small consultancy project or as part of a large multi-disciplinary delivery team. You may need to balance your time across a number of projects at the same time or work, with focus, on a single programme for an extended period. Your responsibilities may include:
- Delivering identified engineering outputs within time, cost and quality constraints as part of an engineering service to a client
- Support the drafting and implementation of strategies to achieve successful client decision milestones
- Provide consultancy to client project and engineering managers
- Fulfil a Systems Engineer role within a client’s own delivery team
- Be an active member of multi-party and multidisciplinary teams to execute an engineering plan
- Development of engineering documentation e.g. System Requirements Document, Acceptance Plan, Verification & Validation requirements Matrix
- Engage Subject Matter Experts to capture requirements, risks or solution options
- Conduct technical analysis and make recommendations
- Have a broad understanding of the wider industry in order to contribute to potential solutions for our clients
- Provide key inputs to/draft analysis reports to identify key risks and shortfalls
- Be an active Participant in, or occasionally lead Design Reviews
- Implement quality assurance to satisfy both corporate and client
- Being proactive to help to achieve client acceptance across a range of engineering deliverables
What we need from you
We value the diversity within our teams and encourage an application if you can meet some, most or all of the requirements here:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Science, Software or equivalent depth of experience in an engineering field
- Professionally recognised (or working towards) with an appropriate institution e.g. CEng (Engineering Council), ASEP (INCOSE)
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in any of these areas:
- Working with a variety of systems for example digital, communications, sensors & hardware/software platforms
- Understand how to apply Systems Engineering processes (e.g. ISO15288:2015) across the lifecycle
- Familiar with modelling languages e.g. UML, SysML, Archimate
- Used to working within projects and teams
- Understanding of different tools and techniques applied to engineering to capture requirements and develop solution designs e.g. Model Based Systems Engineering
- Understanding of engineering within the MOD’s procurement framework, Acquisition System Guidance (ASG)
- Good interpersonal skills and able to build trusted relationships
- Ability to understand, simplify and explain subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders;
- Be innovative and able to think outside of the box
- Be adaptable, inquisitive and eager to develop your systems engineering skills within a dynamic but extremely rewarding environment
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.