Traffic Operator Trainee
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Atlanta, GA team as an Traffic Operator Trainee.
Trains for TOC Operator I position, including training to manage traffic congestion, planned events and unplanned incidents in a Traffic Operations Center and to provide data entry and QA/QC for information in the State DOT Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) or Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS). Trains under supervision.
- Monitors congestion and incident information using various tools including ATMS and ATIS, EM radio traffic, CAD feeds and traffic reports from local media partners for incidents.
- Creates identified incident in ATMS, notifies appropriate personnel, and provides additional responses as required.
- Actively reviews or implements traffic management through the use of tools such as ATMS, ATIS, DMS/CMS, Ramp Metering, 511 floodgates, and develops alternate route provisions when an incident or heavy congestion is detected and verified.
- Implements travel time postings on DMS/CMS during peak traffic hours as needed.
- Manages traffic signal timing or notifies appropriate agency as outlined in SOPs.
- Activates county alerts (targeted floodgates) for incident response as appropriate.
- Activates Amber/Silver Alerts or other messages on regional devices as outlined in SOPs.
- Receives and responds to emails or re-directs to appropriate staff as necessary.
- Monitors feedback messages from 511 system users and provides customer service by returning calls from those leaving feedback messages.
- Compiles daily 511 feedback report for vendor and client review.
- Coordinates with other DOT agencies and serves as primary point of contact for STIX within own state.
- Researches, identifies and reviews planned construction, maintenance, and special events and activities as required.
- Assists with data collection to include in monthly reports, travel speed and travel time reports, incident reports and any other reports that are requested.
- May perform such other assignments as the Supervisor may deem necessary from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma (or equivalent). Experience in a position involving public contact and telephone responsibilities preferred. Must be proficient with computer skills.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have good command of the English language.
- Ability to perform in a professional courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
- Must have an aptitude for geography and maps.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.