Waste Management Consultant
The Atkins Waste & Resource Management business is an expanding, dynamic, multidisciplinary team within Atkins’ Infrastructure business. The Epsom/ London/ Bristol office is seeking a Waste Management Consultant to assist in its workload involving all aspects of the waste industry.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to further establish their career in the waste industry. The successful applicant should be stimulated by fresh challenges and seek to surmount them in a practical way. The applicant should be planning to work towards full membership of the Chartered Institute of Wastes Management or similar institute and should have experience of working internationally and have a willingness to travel. The successful candidate will be dynamic, logical, practical and enthusiastic with good interpersonal and communication skills.
The candidate will have graduated with a related honours or masters degree and have prior knowledge of the broader waste management industry in areas such as legislation, treatment technologies and current issues in the waste industry such as the circular economy.
The successful candidate will;
- Have knowledge and enthusiasm for the waste management industry and previous experience working in the waste sector.
- Be capable of working independently as well as within the team.
- Be a logical, practical and enthusiastic person with very strong problem solving skills.
- Be able to show how they are developing their own knowledge in technical aspects.
- Be considering a route towards chartered status with the CIWM (or similar).
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills and IT skills.
- Be highly numerate and literate and be able to develop strong report writing and analytical skills.
- Be familiar with relevant codes of practice and legislation applicable to the waste management industry.
- Have knowledge of solid waste treatment and management systems (including but not limited to: waste to energy, composting, advanced thermal treatment, recycling and landfill).
- Ideally have experience of working overseas.
- Hold a valid UK driving license.
Role & Responsibilities
The role will require work on technical, practical and theoretical aspects of waste projects for both public and private sector clients in the UK and internationally. This will include, but is not limited to, such projects as waste strategies and strategy implementation, business planning, waste modelling and data analysis, legislative compliance, designing and planning waste management systems, waste audits and all round input into large waste infrastructure and masterplanning projects. A sound knowledge of waste treatment technologies would be an advantage and an understanding of the carbon impacts associated with the waste industry and their calculation and comparison will be of benefit.
The responsibilities will include preparing reports and data analysis as well as supporting various individuals in the wider company on waste management issues.
- Have previous waste management experience.
- Highly motivated and proactive, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Willing to travel in both the UK and internationally.
- Excellent IT literacy.
- Hold a valid UK driving license.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.