Water/Wastewater Infrastructure CAD Designer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Houston, TX Water/Wastewater Infrastructure Group as a Water/Wastewater CAD Designer.
Provides design, production and coordination of construction plans and drawings in support of engineering or architectural project(s). Selects and recommends design procedures.
Note: The Sr Designer classifications are reserved for very experienced and capable designers who, lacking the official education requirements, are unable to obtain professional registration, but whose contribution to the firm is highly regarded and valuable.
- Develops facility designs and detailed drawings using computer based design CAD programs, including: AutoCAD Civil 3D required, MicroStation preferred.
- Works in a collaborative environment supported by ProjectWise software.
- Develops conceptual, preliminary, and/or final design drawings for facilities related to water, sewer, and site civil infrastructure projects.
- Prepares conceptual, preliminary, and/or detailed civil and mechanical layout designs, including plan, profile, and section drawings.
- Performs pipeline, reservoir, and other hydraulic structures design, including the development of detailed design drawings.
- Performs pump station and pumping systems mechanical design, including the development of layouts, plan, details, and section drawings.
- Utilizes base maps, survey files, and topographic maps, to prepare site plans, exhibits, figures, and detailed plan sets for construction contracts.
- Participates on projects involving construction activities, reviews shop drawings for conformance with design requirements including specifications; assists in generating progress reports; observes field conditions and construction procedures as needed to identify and resolve design questions or utility conflicts.
- Prepares material quantity take-off and estimates using computer generated quantity take-off estimates, including 3-dimensional quantities like excavation and grading.
- Coordinates work with engineers and other professionals within and outside own company and discipline.
- Performs field visits, and observations of construction when appropriate.
- Maintains communications with team members, clients, subs, and others involved with the project.
- Supports quality control, maintain quality standards in work produced, and implement internal and client based review comments.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- Upholds business ethics and professional standards of conduct
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent technical discipline plus ten years' experience, or Associate's degree plus a minimum of fifteen years' progressive drafting and design experience, including at least seven as a Designer, or HS diploma (or equivalent) plus a minimum of twenty years progressive drafting and design experience, including at least ten as a Designer.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills. Experience and familiarity with the following is preferred: surveying, Autodesk Civil 3D, MicroStation, ProjectWise, and piping systems design.
- General competencies expected of all Professionals are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites
- No professional registration is required; however, incumbent should be seeking applicable registration if movement onto the Engineering or Architecture career path is contemplated
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles