Water/Wastewater Infrastructure Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Los Angeles, CA Water Infrastructure Group as a Water/Wastewater Infrastructure Engineer.
Under supervision, the Engineer II will have opportunities to apply and develop his/her technical professional proficiencies to the investigation of water and wastewater related engineering problems, supporting the coordination of project activities, and in the preparation of preliminary plans and documents. Experience with water and wastewater pipeline design and/or water and wastewater treatment processes is required.
On design assignments, the Engineer II will progress towards learning how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On engineering and planning assignments, further develop a knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering processes and subsequently apply them successfully to operating systems while on construction assignments, continue to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into a constructed product.
As an Engineer II, the candidate will apply standard engineering practices and techniques which may include the following:
- Organizing and performing engineering assessments, investigations and planning work under the guidance of a more experienced professional
- Performing data acquisition and analysis, researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations
- Preparing outline, reports and/or assigned sections of reports working under the close review of a more experienced professional
- Preparing outline, presentations and/or assigned sections of presentations working under the review of a more experienced professional
- Participating in conducting engineering investigations and planning work by completing well-defined tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data using established procedures, performance of routine calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions
- Performing field observations of construction procedures where appropriate and under the guidance of a more experienced professional
- Supporting the design and development of plans and drawings, including development of preliminary layouts and/or final drawings
- Contributing to the development of specifications and permit applications, and writing miscellaneous reports
- Assisting more experienced professionals with coordinating other disciplines as required
- Preparing material for reports and permit applications, gathering information, writing rough outline, and/or preparing work progression documents and graphic presentations
- Performing such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary
- Upholding engineering ethics and professional standards of conduct
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. This level may be achieved by Engineers with 2-4 years of experience since B.S. or 1-3 years since M.S.
- The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years’ experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Previous internship experience in a related field is desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills, technical writing capabilities and well-developed communication and presentation skills are a requirement. PC skills including Microsoft Office and AutoCAD are required. Experience with Civil 3D and/or Microstation a plus.
- Novice to intermediate level of wastewater experience and/or process knowledge a plus.
- E.I. or EIT desired.
- General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles