Associate Civil Engineer - Water Sector
Atkins Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice are seeking to appoint an Associate Civil Engineer to work on a wide range of water and wastewater projects – including treatment plants, desalination, wastewater reuse, pipeline and pumping stations, collection and storage systems.
This key post will be based out of our Epsom/London office and will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply engineering knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills across our broad range of strategic UK and international clients whilst providing good opportunities for career development. If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins SNC-Lavalin might lead, then we would be keen to hear from you.
In this role, you will be working in a dynamic multidisciplinary water/wastewater civil design team, which will include:
- To lead as a Project/Design Manager or Discipline Lead on feasibility studies, front-end to detailed design, construction support or design and build projects
- Working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary environment across teams in the UK and overseas to ensure successful delivery of projects
- Embrace digital engineering and promoting innovative engineering design solutions
- To lead on quality and safe design of technical solutions for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes
- To undertake technical reviews and supervision of project teams’ design deliverables including engineering design calculation, drawings and report writing complying with Akins’ design management system
- To lead the efficient delivery of projects to meet programme and budget complying with Atkins’ business management governance
- Clients or contractors’ engagement and to lead discussions on technical solutions in the delivery of water civil engineering to stakeholders including technical and non-technical clients – both during projects stage and at tender stage
- To lead on winning work, through technical innovation, production of fees, scope definition and quality answers in response to client tenders and complying with Akins’ bid management system
- Mentoring and line management responsibilities for team members from graduates to recently chartered or less experienced team members
- Chartered Civil Engineer or equivalent professional qualification
- Demonstrable experience of design/project deliveries in Water/Wastewater Engineering in the UK and/or international
- A strong technical background, including first principles analysis and use of relevant UK and international codes and standards
- Strong understanding of digital initiatives and its application in the water industry
- Experience of hydraulic design, open channel flow and pressure pipe systems relating to engineering within the water sector in the UK and/or international
- Highly experienced with the design and delivery of water and wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure assets including pumping stations, pipelines, treatment plants structures etc.
- Highly motivated, organised and with a strong desire to promote technical excellence within project teams and wider Atkins team/practice
- Experience working with contractors on site to deliver the successful implementation of engineering solutions.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently within a multidisciplinary team including with Clients, Contractors and colleagues alike.
- Flexible approach to work locations for project assignments, including overseas working or visits, if required.
About the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice:
Our Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice is inspired by Atkins vision to be the world's best infrastructure consultancy. Our people are focused on our routes to market and driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow. Working collaboratively across the group we pride ourselves on the safe delivery of technically excellent engineering solutions in the built environment, with the end users in mind, to both external and internal clients. Our knowledge of contractor's construction techniques allows our teams to produce efficient designs that can be built. Our expertise covers the full array of activities through the life cycle associated with smart infrastructure, ranging from feasibility, planning, investigation, design and supervision of new assets through to assessment, measurement, repair and rehabilitation of existing assets.
The assets range from simple structures to complex, safety-critical structures subject to extreme dynamic loading. Owing to the diverse nature of our expertise, we have developed specialist skills related to deep basements, seismic and blast assessment, pavement and drainage design, utility networks supporting infrastructure, airport planning and airfield engineering, physical security, water engineering, and logistics and enabling works. We also provide specialist resources through secondments into Client organisations to deliver technical support.
We have successfully provided these services for a wide variety of clients and prestigious projects in the Aviation, Commercial & Residential, Education, Mass Transit, Transport, Defence, Energy and Water markets in the UK and internationally.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.