Chief Engineer/Associate Director
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our centre of excellence for the design of rail and highway infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice Consultant for local and national light rail/rail and highway authorities, contractors and developers.
We are working on many high-profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including HS2 Phase 2, Central Signalling Rail Alliance (CRSA), East West Rail Alliance and Northern Powerhouse Rail. We work directly for key clients such as Network Rail, NEXUS, Transport for North and key contractors delivering Design and Build schemes.
We are seeking a candidate for our York office who is able to demonstrate a high level of civil engineering and leadership capability and can lead the technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects. In addition, you will have a strong network within the industry that will facilitate business development within this significant market. You will have a background in structural and civil design, working within the UK rail sectors with a strong track record of developing teams to meet and exceed delivery expectations. You will have driven and enthusiasm to challenge the norm promoting continual improvement for the benefit of our teams and clients alike.
- Lead the technical delivery of complex, multi-disciplinary civil engineering projects (Network Rail, Local Transport Authorities and Contractor partners)
- Use your experience and analytical skills to derive potential solutions to complex engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and select suitable options.
- Use your knowledge and experience to coach and lead teams towards effective solution development on projects.
- Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Act as Contractors’ Engineering Manager (CEM) on large multi-disciplinary schemes.
- Act as a key point of contact for Client Key Account Management and Stakeholders alike.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced by those under your supervision are compliant with all relevant standards.
- Developing more junior staff through technical training and mentoring.
- Responsible for the completion of projects to time and budget.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered Membership of a relevant professional body, ICE, IStructE.
- Intimate knowledge of Network Rail’s processes and the various deliverables required at each stage.
- Willingness and ability to lead high quality technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects and relevant aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
- Sound understanding of Network Rail and local authority standards and technical assurance procedures.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables.
- Ability to prepare reports and collate specifications from all parties to the project and to collect and analyse other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports
- Relevant rail industry experience of working within a design environment essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines at all levels.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities and major contractors, and have an understanding of their internal organisation and processes
- Identify and respond to our client’s values in a competitive market sector
- Ability to manage and influence stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities
- Ability to manage large, multi-disciplinary projects including preparing programmes and managing risk
- Able to act as Contractors’ Engineering Manager (CEM) on large, multi-disciplinary projects
- Excellent project management skills, commercial awareness, financial management skills and ability to lead and deliver work across a range of contract types
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame
- Awareness of the business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks
- Experience in leading and motivating teams both locally and remotely to prioritise and deliver tasks to time and budget
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location
Requirements – Desirable:
- Experience as lead designer on design and build (D&B) and/or Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) commissions
- Experience of collaborative software (SharePoint, Business Collaborator, ProNet or Arenium)
- Experience of writing bids and offers, and an understanding of the commercial risks associated with projects
- We are looking for an enthusiastic individual that is willing to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred individual will be able to take ownership and responsibility to lead projects of varying scale and size, be comfortable working independently but able to seek advice from your colleagues where the job involves areas of work that are new to you.
- Our team and our business are continually looking for ways to improve how we meet our clients’ needs and encourage challenge and alternative viewpoints/approaches from all our staff.
- You will be required to adopt a similar mentality, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives to our team and our ways of working.
Flexible Benefits and Training
- The health and wellbeing of our staff is paramount, and as such Atkins offers a wide range of flexible benefits for all employees.
- Benefits include flexible holiday packages, bike4work, corporate gym membership and health insurance discounts and 24h access to our Employee Assistance Programme for confidential support on both personal and work-related issues.
- Flexible and part-time working is also a key part of Atkins approach to health and wellbeing, and as such applicants are welcome to discuss their specific working requirements if invited for interview. Full details of our benefits package can be found here:
- Providing exceptional training for our staff is a cornerstone of our commitment to our workforce, and as such the successful candidate can expect mentoring, coaching and development throughout their career with Atkins.
- We develop our individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
- These are reviewed with individuals through annual and mid-year appraisals, supplemented by regular 1-2-1s with line managers. Professional accreditation is also highly valued by our business, and as such when applicable you will be supported through your specific accreditation process by an appropriate mentor.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Senior EngineerAre you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' proble
Principal Consultant- Road Safety Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and togethe
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs