SNC-Lavalin has an exciting full-time career opportunity for an Intermediate or Senior HVDC Engineer to build a career in the area of Power Systems in our Montreal, QC office (preferred) – with possibility to work from another T&D office across Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary).
The candidate will work in a fast-paced international consulting environment with excellent career growth opportunities.
Must be available for regular national, international and overseas business travel.
This position reports to the HVDC Manager.
Working in collaboration with the HVDC Team to prepare the following deliverables / provide the following engineering services (non-exhaustive list):
- HVDC performance specifications (comprehensive)
- HVDC converter station and equipment specifications
- Detailed design reviews of O.E.M. design documentation and drawings
- HVDC studies and model development
- Detailed design for HVDC balance of plant (AC interface, Auxiliaries, etc.)
- High Voltage AC electrical design
- On-site Commissioning supervision
- Factory testing and Controls/RTDS testing supervision
- Client interfacing, and providing expertise in the areas of HVDC and HV power systems
- HVDC and FACTS technology selection
- Data collection, model development, simulations, analysis, reporting and presentations to Clients.
- Feasibility and Techno-economic studies (lines, substation, generation, etc.).
- Design studies (such as grounding, lightning, EMF/EMI, audible noise, cable sizing, etc.).
- Site visits to measure audible noise, ground resistance, harmonics and electromagnetic fields data, etc.
- Support the business development team (proposals, presentations, strategy, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, from a recognized institution (Master’s or PhD degree in power systems, an asset);
- 10+ years of relevant experience, particularly related to HVDC equipment and converter stations (Valves, Power Transformers, Filters, Cooling Systems, Control Systems, Electrode Design, HVDC Cables, etc.);
- Experience in FACTS projects (SVC, STATCOM, Series Compensation), an asset;
- Experience in conceptual and detailed design of High Voltage AC Substations and Cables, an asset;
- Exceptional academic, extracurricular and professional record;
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical capabilities with a focus achieving results;
- Team player with great interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Client focused, highly autonomous, and ability to work under pressure;
- Comprehensive understanding of high-voltage electric networks fundamentals;
- Eligibility for registration with an Order of Engineers in Canada;
- Fluency in English language, both spoken and written. Additional languages (in particular: fluency in French) will be considered an asset;
- Availability for international assignments;
- Proficiency in the following software tools (an asset): PSCAD, EMTP-RV, PSS®E, CDEGS.