Intermediate Environmental Technician/Technologist
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with a leader in engineering and construction offering challenges that never cease to inspire. Take this opportunity to go further.
We are seeking an Intermediate-level Environmental Technician or Technologist to join our team serving our industrial, transit, petro-chemical and government clients throughout Ontario and other provinces as assignments arise. The technician / technologist will be part of a team of environmental engineers/geoscientists and scientists and will provide support on projects related to environmental investigation and remediation, hydrogeological investigations and construction monitoring in the industrial, oil and gas and government sectors. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate both technical and field experience in the completion of Phase I/II/III environmental site assessment and remediation projects.
This position is based in one of our Burlington (Skyview Drive) or Toronto West (the West Mall) or Toronto Center (Lesmill Road-preferred), ON locations.
- Supervising and directing drilling, excavation and other contractors
- Collecting soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment, soil vapour and air samples
- Conducting site inspections and surveying of varying complexity
- Assisting with the installation, operation and maintenance of remediation systems
- Documenting field activities and data
- Compiling, processing and presenting field data in tables, figures and plans
- Analyzing data following standard methods
- Assisting in report and proposal preparation
- Construction environmental monitoring and inspections
- Construction safety monitoring and inspections
- College Diploma in Environmental or Geological Engineering Technology or equivalent
- 2-4 years of progressive related field experience, including experience supervising heavy equipment and drilling contractors
- A commitment to health and safety excellence
- Should be eligible and willing to obtaining a C.Tech or CET designation
- Capable of understanding and appropriately applying prescribed safety and technical regulations and protocols
- Willing to undertake field work year-round and travel throughout Ontario, sometimes for extended periods
- Ability to undertake work requiring moderate physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; lifting; recurring bending or similar
- Effectively and efficiently communicate (verbally and in writing) with team members with good interpersonal skills for the work team , inter-disciplines, sub-contractors and project management
- Surveying (level), total station and GPS experience is an asset
- Experience in completing designated substance/hazardous materials surveys is an asset
- Mechanical aptitude with capability of troubleshooting mechanical systems is an asset
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong written skills in order to complete detailed, descriptive and comprehensive field notes
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail and accuracy oriented
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.