Intermediate Equipment Engineer - Port Elgin office (2 Year Fixed Term)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
This position is for a 2-year term, but can be extended or transferred to a permanent position depending on the business or project needs.
SNC-Lavalin is currently looking for an Intermediate Equipment Engineer to join our engineering team in Port Elgin office.
The anticipated work scopes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide engineering design and modifications for all safety or non-safety related mechanical equipment and systems for both Bruce A and Bruce B stations following BP procedures (e.g., BP-PRO-00539, etc.);
- Support BP life extension program;
- Support BP routine operation/maintenance services based on the request;
- Support BP planned or unplanned outages; and
- Provide necessary engineering field services and support during construction and installation, procurement, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.
This position requires an experienced individual who is a self-starter capable of working independently or under the instruction from a senior technical engineer to perform stress analysis, provide engineering design or modification of mechanical equipment and systems on various projects, and develop necessary engineering design documentation as required.
The qualified individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Perform engineering work following SNC-Lavalin/Candu Energy QA programs, and applicable codes, standards, and regulation requirements;
- Coordinate and interface with client, suppliers, stakeholders and other design disciplines or department to execute assigned engineering work;
- Perform conceptual, preliminary and/or detailed design of mechanical equipment and modifications thereof, including but not limited to oil hydraulic and pneumatic system;
- Perform component sizing, flow network analysis and stress analysis of mechanical systems using applicable software;
- Perform complex technical calculations relevant to design such as heat load analysis, fluid mechanics, and calculations related to component integrity;
- Perform complex engineering tasks with efficiency and accuracy;
- Prepare Design Change Package (DCP) and Design Change Notice (DCN) packages following BP procedures;
- Develop technical documents, such as: engineering drawings (including GA, equipment layouts, flow sheets), change paper markups, calculations, design/analysis reports, design requirements, design manuals, bill of materials, design specifications, technical specifications, data sheets, system classification lists, code classifications, commissioning specifications, test procedures and plans, etc.;
- Prepare TSSA registration packages for pressure boundary modifications;
- Interface with the regulatory bodies, such as: TSSA and CNSC, if required;
- Be capable to prepare requisitions or Engineering Quotation Requests (EQR) for equipment and materials to support procurement;
- Be capable to review supplier technical documents and performing technical bid analyses;
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to Designers/Drafters, or Junior Engineers if required;
- Perform field walk-downs during different design phases as required;
- Provide engineering support to quality surveillance, manufacturing, assembly and testing with non-conformances;
- Support field construction and execution activities, such as: field changes, design revisions, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.;
- Provide prompt response and engineering resolutions on any critical mechanical equipment related matters; and
- Complete the assigned scopes or tasks within given budget and schedule, and in good quality.
- Engineering Degree in Mechanical from an accredited university or equivalent degree as recognized by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO);
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario;
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience in machine, automation, equipment and/or tooling design, or 5 years of experience in the fluid power, oil hydraulic control and/or water process control industry;
- General knowledge of CANDU nuclear mechanical systems or equipment;
- Design engineering experience in NPP equipment (especially for Bruce Power) is preferable;
- Solid understanding of mechanics of machine, mechanics of materials, material selection and fundamentals of machine component design;
- Solid understanding of fluid mechanics and process system control design including open and closed loop oil hydraulic circuit design;
- Knowledge of pressure boundary work including pressure vessel design, analysis, code classification, code class boundary, non-destructive examination and design registration is an asset;
- Knowledge of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section II, III, V, VIII and IX is an asset;
- Knowledge of general requirements for pressure-retaining systems and components in CANDU nuclear power plants CSA N285.0 code is an asset;
- Knowledge of boiler, pressure vessel, and pressure piping CSA B51 code is an asset;
- Knowledge of dimensioning and tolerancing ASME Y14.5 standard is an asset;
- Knowledge of seismic and environmental qualification methods and process is an asset.
- CAD experience in Solid Edge or Solid Works is an asset;
- Understanding of or experience with BP risk based Engineering Change Control (ECC) modification process is preferable.
- Full qualification as a BP Assigned Designer (ADE) is an asset;
- Must have excellent technical and practical skills to resolve engineering issues or technical problems;
- Must have excellent communication and technical writing skills;
- Demonstrate ability to interact effectively with client’s counterparts;
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Site experience in construction, or commissioning of plant equipment and mechanical systems for nuclear or other heavy industries would be an asset;
- Must be capable of working independently with limited supervision, yet be an active team member supporting the project team; and
- Willing to become a Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW).