Junior Systems Engineer
SNC Lavalin (Atkins) is a global company, and is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
Our Company is growing, and due to the increasing realisation by our clients of the need to understand and manage their complex business and the technology environment, the demand for System Thinkers and Engineers is growing.
We offer significant opportunity for our people to develop, and a supportive, flexible and engaging work environment through adherence to our Company’s values of safety, integrity, collaboration and innovation.
Our client base is large and varied and our work is stimulating, challenging and rewarding. If you are ready to take on a challenge, responsibility and gain valuable professional experience in this complex changing world then we want to hear from you.
Technology today is evolving at an ever increasing rate, but that is nothing compared to the pace of its adoption and impact on society and the physical and digital world.
SNC Lavalin (Atkins) believe that understanding the complex systems, and emergent behaviour that results from the interaction of technology and people, is vital to solving tomorrow’s problems.
If you like:
- Making a difference that benefits the world around you;
- Working with people in multi-disciplinary teams to identify problems and solutions;
- Using big-picture and holistic thinking to identify interactions between people, technology and the world;
- Creative thinking and finding innovative ways to visualise complex ideas; and
- Explaining and communicating ideas through storytelling.
If you think that:
- The issues and concerns of society and industry cannot be addressed by technology alone: and that
- Technology is part of the solution, including application of emerging technologies such as cyber, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big-data, Blockchain, Virtual Reality, autonomous vehicles, 3-D printing and 5G;
- Solutions need to be designed to account for human behaviour, future scientific discovery and technology development, the environment and climate change, and political and social pressures.
Then we want to give you:
- The skills and tools necessary to tackle tomorrow’s problems today;
- The opportunity to become a Systems Thinker and Engineer for SNC Lavalin (Atkins);
- A career path to becoming a Systems Thinker and Engineer, including opportunities:
- For Mentoring;
- To study for NVQ Level 7 Apprenticeship (Master’s degree equivalent) in Systems Engineering;
- To work towards certification and chartership qualifications, (with INCOSE for example);
- The opportunity to work with a range of clients across the Defence, Energy, Transport, Aerospace and Security sectors; and
- The opportunity to be involved in a diverse range of roles throughout your career with us.
Our Systems Thinkers and Engineers work on tasks ranging from small consultancy projects to large multi-disciplinary programmes, and may need to balance their time across concurrent projects. Responsibilities typically include:
- Stakeholder management across our clients and partners;
- Problem discovery and definition;
- The development of solutions to complex problems in balance with performance, cost, time and risk and using our knowledge and experience in the state-of-the-art and emerging technologies;
- The planning and implementation of solutions;
- Communicating complex concepts in a compelling and straightforward way;
- Influencing stakeholders and non-technical team members;
- Influencing the direction of Systems Engineering and introducing Systems Thinking to new industries.
What we need from you
We value the diversity within our teams and encourage an application if you can meet some, most, or all of the requirements here:
- Degree qualified, or equivalent depth of experience. A degree in a STEM subject may be an advantage but is not compulsory. We welcome applications from candidates who can demonstrate that their degree and experience has equipped them for creative and Systems Thinking;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusted relationships;
- Ability to tailor the presentation of ideas to non-technical and senior stakeholders;
- Able to work alone or as part of a team;
- Experience and skill with the MS Office toolset;
- Willingness to acquire knowledge on how to apply Systems Thinking, and Systems Engineering tools and techniques;
- Effective and creative written and oral communication skills.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
As a proud supporter of the Armed Forces, Atkins’ Employees are supported to participate with one of a number of reserve forces and will receive up to an additional 10 days paid leave to maintain their annual training commitment
Our Latest Articles