Job Title: Nuclear Safety Engineer - Epsom
We are seeking a Nuclear Safety Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is enthusiastic to help make the organisation a little better every day. You will want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a Nuclear Safety Engineer who wants to play an effective role in the design of complex new schemes which will assure the longevity and integrity of existing infrastructure. In addition to this, the Engineer will be expected to deliver innovative consultancy advice to core clients, critical to the success of the global energy market.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working within our Nuclear and Power business in Epsom, you will be in a unique position of being able to offer full concept through to detail design capability across some fantastic, inspirational projects. From our office we are involved in developing innovative, practical solutions for our clients across the UK and further afield. By joining the vibrant Nuclear and Power Business, you will have the opportunity to work across the whole nuclear market from Decommissioning to Generation to New Build.
The role will entail providing safety case advice during the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and for the production of all nuclear safety documentation as part of the Site Licence Conditions. Typical documents you should have some experience in authoring and will be expected to produce include the following:
- Hazard/fault identification studies e.g. HAZOP, FMEA, etc;
- Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard Assessments;
- Radiological Hazard Assessments;
- Probabilistic Safety Assessments;
- Safety Case preparation (e.g. EC, PMP, PSR, PCSR, LSS etc);
- Support to Engineering Substantiation studies;
- Safety management studies.
- Nuclear technology technical reports.
- EC production (Cat 1 and Cat 2)
- Fault studies
- AGR and PWR and BWR Station procedures and manuals.
- Design Authority technical reports
Other key aspects of the role will include mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. You will also liaise with operators, designers and clients, building a strong relationship with them.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to ‘get it’, and then watch them go on and achieve more.
Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication, presentation and problem solving skills you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in mechanical engineering or closely related discipline (2:1 minimum).
- Chartered Engineer or in advanced stages of working towards chartership.
- Technical practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering judgement and with extensive experience in using fundamental engineering skills.
- Proven record of delivering technically challenging projects.
- Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis
- Able to produce and review/correct high quality technical reports.
- Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality.
- Awareness of their own technical limitations, and using the help and support of others to deliver.
- Sound commercial acumen.
Additional Information and Benefits:
- Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins which is part of the SNC-Lavalin Group and whilst already a truly global organisation we continue to diversify our portfolio while growing our Nuclear and Power business in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for our engineers.
- Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year to supplement our standard 25 days paid annual leave
As part of our Nuclear and Power business, we specialise in taking on the most stimulating engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical solutions to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sectors, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenges of the global Energy sector.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
Atkins are part of the SNC-Lavalin Group and are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes competitive salary package, opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working arrangements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.