Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our center of excellence for the design of rail and highway infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for clients in the rail, highways and local transport markets.
We are currently seeking a Senior Engineer for our bridges and civils team in York. The successful candidate will support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary projects including major rail improvement schemes such as East West Rail Phase 2 and Midland Mainline Electrification along with Local Transport schemes. You will also play a key role in supporting delivery on enhancement projects for our Central Rail Signaling Alliance (CRSA).
Using your people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll be responsible for delivering civil and structural design packages and for entire projects, managing resources and project finances to ensure our schemes are delivered profitably, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
Your project involvement will be tailored by your specific background and skills.
You will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway or rail environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE or IStructE
The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, communication and stakeholder management skills. Essential criteria are noted below:
- Experience of working with key clients such as Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers, major Contractors
- Ability to lead bids and tenders
- Sufficient experience to undertake technical reviews of designs
- Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, Eurocodes, Network Rail standards)
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of clients, stakeholders and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines
- Excellent spoken and written English
- We are looking for an enthusiastic individual that is willing to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred individual will be able to take ownership of their projects and responsibilities, comfortable working independently but able to seek advice from your colleagues where the job involves areas of work that are new.
- Our team and our business are continually looking for ways to improve how we meet our clients’ needs and encourage challenge and alternative viewpoints/approaches from all our staff. You will be required to adopt a similar mentality, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives to our team and our ways of working.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
- These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organization, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join.
Atkins recognize that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Chief Engineer/Associate DirectorAre you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face o
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs