Traffic Operations Center (TOC) Assistant Traffic Specialist
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Candidates interested must be available to work a 10-hour night shift / four days a week. Hours of operation for this role are 7:00 PM to 8:00 AM.
MAJOR FUNCTION / ROLE
Detects and responds to traffic management data information from multiple real-time sources such as alarms, traffic flow maps, closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras, video display wall, police radio scanners, phone calls, and other sources.
Verifies and classifies traffic events such as congestion, incidents, special events, construction, and device malfunctions using CCTV and coordination with other personnel. Views, creates, modifies, and enables response plans when traffic event is detected. Evaluates and responds to major incidents in the Managed Lanes by determining lanes blocked, injuries, fatalities, hazmat spills, and estimated incident duration.
Operates pan-tilt-zoom cameras and scans multiple monitors. Activates and changes Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) to include traveler information and to notify travelers of traffic events; Detects and verifies field device failures. Responds to device failure, including actions such as acknowledgement of alarm, viewing and evaluating device, determining location, attempting reset, classifying alarm, recording type, and providing and escalating notification to the TMC manager and field maintenance technicians.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with all upper management, other departments, state agencies, general public and your fellow peers.
- Must be able to multi-task, problem solve, and implement innovative processes within a fast paced environment while remaining calm and effective under pressure.
- Excellent verbal, listening and written communication skills.
- Type at least 30-35 WPM.
- Accurately and quickly read maps.
- Knowledge of local and regional geographical area.
- Ability to coordinate real time activities and initiate immediate priorities, for self and support.
- Good teamwork skills and active working attitude required.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate computer skills proficiency, especially with respect to Microsoft Office and other PC based programs.
- Ability to navigate Google maps, Waze, and other mapping tools.
- Prior experience with Reversible Lane Software is a +plus (Preferably Cameleon or RACS).
- Updates traffic information on the 511 website.
- Manages and operates the reversible Managed Lane systems.
- Communicates with the Traffic Operations Manager, and interagency traffic management personnel (including local emergency responder personnel) about traffic management and traffic events.
- Coordinates with and dispatches the Hero Master Operators, interagency traffic management personnel (such as other TMC operators), First Responders, emergency personnel, and other private providers) during confirmed incidents, emergencies, weather events, and special events.
- Works with SRTA Operators during managed lane reversals to effectively manage the toll operations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two years’ administrative or technical work experience required.
- Experience in dispatch center or 911 operations a plus.
- Must be proficient with computer skills.
- One-year experience as supervisor fill-in is preferred.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have good command of the English language.
- Ability to complete written records in clear written English.
- Ability to perform courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
- Must have aptitude for geography and maps.
- Experience in a position involving public contact and telephone responsibilities preferred.
- TOC Basic Certification Required
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.